Why become a member? ×

The Bernard Edwards Appreciation Thread

Bass_In_Yer_Face

Bernard was a major influence on my playing. Good Times is my favourite bassline of all time.

The later album. Chicism' is very highly recommended.

I went to see Chic at the Apollo in Manchester (can't remember if it was late 70s or early 80s). He was using a BC Rich and his bass sound was awful - just a big mush. It was really disappointing.

A truly sad loss, and such tragic circumstances.

I seem to recall another thread where I extolled the virtues of Bernard Edwards. To be honest, a lot of the actual Chic album tracks are weak as songs, but with 'Nard putting such a groove on them they became a lot more listenable. Most of the Chic output is well documented, but some people miss out the two LPs that he and Nile Rodgers produced for Sister Sledge (We Are Family and Love Somebody Today), "Diana" for Diana Ross, "King Of The World" for Sheila & B. Devotion and "Koo Koo" (well, half of it) for Debbie Harry. I've never laid hands on the "Soup For One" soundtrack, but Amazon have recently told me that my copy of his solo LP "Glad To Be Here" will be here in a few days. (I spoke about the Distance project on the other thread).

He was Da Man!

[quote name='Clarky72' post='751023' date='Feb 19 2010, 03:47 PM']Hey Clarky,

Check this clip. There's a part where you see Bernard's technique of thumb & forefinger clearly...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14kXaX5D6Ng"]The Man[/url]

Cheers
Clarky :)[/quote]

I notice that's a Rock track. Did he use the same technique for Funk?

Dont buy his solo album its crap,the bass lines are there but nothing very interesting.He is the reason i play bass,i was dissapointed with this though. I like the stuff he did on why by carly simon,the soup for one film soundtrack is awesome all round,the film aint great though its got that short bloke who played donny,daphnes fiance in frasier in it.

Edited by YouMa

[quote name='YouMa' post='753017' date='Feb 21 2010, 05:35 PM']Dont buy his solo album its crap,the bass lines are there but nothing very interesting.He is the reason i play bass,i was dissapointed with this though. I like the stuff he did on why by carly simon,the soup for one film soundtrack is awesome all round,the film aint great though its got that short bloke who played donny,daphnes fiance in frasier in it.[/quote]
It can't be worse than Nile Rodgers' first solo effort, which was released about a year beforehand; that one sounds like a home demo and only one track features any bass guitar (still trying to work out whether or not that was courtesy of 'Nard).

[quote name='YouMa' post='753017' date='Feb 21 2010, 05:35 PM']Dont buy his solo album its crap,the bass lines are there but nothing very interesting.He is the reason i play bass,i was dissapointed with this though. I like the stuff he did on why by carly simon,the soup for one film soundtrack is awesome all round,the film aint great though its got that short bloke who played donny,daphnes fiance in frasier in it.[/quote]
You weren't joking!!! "Glad To Be Here" is the biggest load of arse I've heard in years!!! No doubtiing the man's chops, though, but for a real taste of what he was capable of, you gotta stay with the Chic Organisation. If anyopne's got the "Real People" album, the track "Open Up" is a great showcase for the man.

Edited by Malc62