Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VTB500 / Warwick LWA 500

Light Grenade

Just taken delivery of a Tech21 VTB500 and it looks like it is going straight back. As soon as I plugged in, nix/nadda/nothing. Wiggled the lead around and crackle/pop and then sound. Swapped the lead and it did exactly the same thing. Also the fan seems to be on all the time and it is really noisy compared to my MarkBass.
I don't have the confidence to take it out on a gig so looks like it will have to go back. The input Jack socket appears to be the problem. The jack plug is not very tight when plugged in. Loads of play.
When it does work it sounds great and the tonal possibilities are endless.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1446112884' post='2896925']
Just taken delivery of a Tech21 VTB500 and it looks like it is going straight back. As soon as I plugged in, nix/nadda/nothing. Wiggled the lead around and crackle/pop and then sound. Swapped the lead and it did exactly the same thing. Also the fan seems to be on all the time and it is really noisy compared to my MarkBass.
I don't have the confidence to take it out on a gig so looks like it will have to go back. The input Jack socket appears to be the problem. The jack plug is not very tight when plugged in. Loads of play.
[/quote]

We are sorry to hear that you received a defective unit. Did you contact the dealer to exchange it? We haven't heard of this issue before. If the input jack is loose that's a fairly easy fix but the fan should NOT be on all the time.

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1446126880' post='2897129']
We are sorry to hear that you received a defective unit. Did you contact the dealer to exchange it? We haven't heard of this issue before. If the input jack is loose that's a fairly easy fix but the fan should NOT be on all the time.
[/quote]

That's good to know - thanks for posting. :)

[quote name='Tech21NYC' timestamp='1446126880' post='2897129']
[/quote]
Yes I have contacted the dealer and it will be on it's way back tomorrow. I am not having it repaired, I have requested a refund as I don't have much faith in the product now.

For anyone that's interested, I ended up doing a complete u-turn and getting my hands on an Orange Terror Bass. It's a touch bigger than what I was after, but for the price of £200 - it was well worth a punt. It's a lot more coloured and instantly aggressive than the Mark Bass, but I like what I've heard so far. I'll be putting it through it's paces at rehearsal this week, but I reckon it will have no problem cutting through the mix.

Edited by Light Grenade

[quote name='Light Grenade' timestamp='1446491157' post='2899815']
For anyone that's interested, I ended up doing a complete u-turn and getting my hands on an Orange Terror Bass.
[/quote]

Let us know how you get on with it. Predictably, I ended up getting my hands on a G-K MB500. :rolleyes: It's lush.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1446112884' post='2896925']
[/quote]
I had a very same experience.... took it to a gig, plugged it in, made a loud squeal and fried itself. Went straight back.... of course, confidence is shaken now and unsure wether to try another and if I do, how long will it last before the next one dies. Got a refund, went to buy another, they are all out of stock and gone up £50... I love Tech 21 gear so was REALLY disappointed to be fair. Im thinking of a different brand and just sticking with the Sans pedals.