Why become a member? ×

Mystery Axe

Johnrandall

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][color=#A4A4A4][size=3]Posted Today, 09:27 AM[/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=4]Hey bcers,

I've just been given a bass by a woman I've never met except on a 'preloved' site. It belonged to her late brother and so she kindly passed-it on to whoever expressed an interest.
It says 'Axe' on the headstock. Does anyone know anything at all about basses made by 'Axe'?
Google searches take me to the Gene Simmons Axe-shaped bass by Contor, which it most definitely is not. It's a regular double cut-away bass.
My guess is it was a budget guitar made by a company now defunct. It is supremely weighty.
Any information would be great. Thank you.
John [/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Johnrandall

When i first started playing i was loaned an Axe for about 12 months by a friend of my dads, it belonged to who his brother who had moved away so he had no idea where hed got it from

It looked exactly like the red one above and weighed a ton (not literally)

Be interesting to see if anyone has any info as ive never been able to find out anything and it was 10 years ago! 😂

Bought the guitar in the late 80s from Axe, it was £99.99 I think. As well as a cheap guitar you also got a tiny battery operated amp, a lesson book (more like a magazine than a book) and lesson tapes which I think I still have somewhere.

The guitar was black with axe on the body, a mate rubbed it off for me so it looked relic'd. The frets were dangerously sharp on the ends and hardware a little cheap looking (what did expect for £99.99!). Oh, it also had a whammy bar!

The Axe drum kit was about £200 for a 5 piece kit so you could kit out a band for about £400. The guitarist wouldn't be very loud though so everyone would be happy!

I also used to have a cream coloured one but it got stolen .

- Just found a close-up of the headstock logo from the de-fret process . The fretboard had been dyed black and subsequent sanding revealed a nice piece of rosewood .

I seem to remember the bass cost less than the tapewounds I put on it !

Edited by DaveFry

Well, this was my first post on this forum and I am both grateful and impressed by the depth and speed of replies - a good community you have here. Thank you all very much. I'm not gigging and so I guess it'll do for sketching ideas onto the old eight-track. There's something weirdly appealing about the insane weight of this monster...
Thanks all - much appreciated.
John

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1445858879' post='2894716']
Bought the guitar in the late 80s from Axe, it was £99.99 I think. As well as a cheap guitar you also got a tiny battery operated amp, a lesson book (more like a magazine than a book) and lesson tapes which I think I still have somewhere.

The guitar was black with axe on the body, a mate rubbed it off for me so it looked relic'd. The frets were dangerously sharp on the ends and hardware a little cheap looking (what did expect for £99.99!). Oh, it also had a whammy bar!

The Axe drum kit was about £200 for a 5 piece kit so you could kit out a band for about £400. The guitarist wouldn't be very loud though so everyone would be happy!
[/quote]

A friend of mine had that kit back in the late 80s. The cymbals bent when you hit them! That came with all the learn-to-play stuff too.

I bought - and I still have - an Axe stereo chorus stomp box. Very cheap but quite a decent little unit, if a bit hissy. Turns out it's a rebranded MIJ Aria pedal.

Jon.

[quote name='Johnrandall' timestamp='1445867568' post='2894827']
Well, this was my first post on this forum and I am both grateful and impressed by the depth and speed of replies - a good community you have here. Thank you all very much. I'm not gigging and so I guess it'll do for sketching ideas onto the old eight-track. There's something weirdly appealing about the insane weight of this monster...
Thanks all - much appreciated.
John
[/quote]Welcome John.
Only been here a year myself and let me tell you there's nothing these guys don't know! They've even solved the meaning of life, the universe and everything! (Level 42).

My first bass was an Axe in around 1990.

They used to advertise them on the back of Kerrang and Metal Hammer, I think the guitars went for £99 and the basses £125.

It was fine to learn on, but, in hindsight it wasn't great build quality and the J pickup on mine managed to be really noisy (buzzing wise) and far too quiet at the same time, but I played my first gigs with it and it was perfectly usable.

My first guitar and bass were Axe versions late 80s. Adverts in Metal Hammer magazine. They came with a 'How to Play Heavy Metal in a day' book. 25 years on, I still can't play some of it!! Horrible guitars but cute in their own right. Made me appreciate the cheap BC Rich Warlock guitar I bought to replace the guitar....