Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Trying to date my bass!

stevie_ed

Hi everyone

I purchased a Precision bass from a reputable shop in London about ten years ago and was told it was a 1978, however as a fretless neck had replaced the original there was no serial number on the headstock. Is there any other way of telling the age of this bass and are the serial numbers printed anywhere else on the bass besides the headstock?
Many thanks
Steve

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='279461' date='Sep 8 2008, 08:00 AM']First reply to all threads about dating basses should always involve someone saying take it somewhere nice.[/quote]
+1, though you have to warn that the conversation may be a bit wooden.

By 1978 Fender were starting to put stickers with the serial number on it on the back of the scratchplate, or sometimes in the neck pocket. The pickups should also be stamped with a 4 or 6 character number, where the last and last two characters respectively are the year. Serial numbers should always be used in conjunction with any pot codes or stamps though.

If everything is original (apart from the neck) the bass couldn't have been put together before the latest dates on the parts.

Thanks guys-I had a little fumble around under her neckline (as is the norm when you're dating) and the serial begins with an E which would seem to suggest she is a 1979 model. Being that this was the year I was born, it would indicate the she is old enough to be by mother. Or older sister. Either way, its incest so I shall no longer be continuing with the dating.
Incidently, I shall shortly be selling the old girl-pics to follow!!
Many thanks