Why become a member? ×

Synth pedals

Merton

My gf is brilliant. First she says "don't sell that bass rig or bass, you'll regret it later" and then she says "what do you want for your birthday? I have no idea what to get you."

So, I have an idea. Up to about £180 to spend apparently, and i fancy a synth pedal. I quite like the EHX Microsynth but wondered if there's anything else that's better for similar dosh? I have next to no clue here coz I don't spend enough time looking into them. I guess the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer isn't out yet and is out of my price league?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Merton' post='278239' date='Sep 5 2008, 10:13 PM']My gf is brilliant. First she says "don't sell that bass rig or bass, you'll regret it later" and then she says "what do you want for your birthday? I have no idea what to get you."

So, I have an idea. Up to about £180 to spend apparently, and i fancy a synth pedal. I quite like the EHX Microsynth but wondered if there's anything else that's better for similar dosh? I have next to no clue here coz I don't spend enough time looking into them. I guess the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer isn't out yet and is out of my price league?[/quote]

Man, I wish my gf could afford a £180 presie for me *sigh*

Anyways if you missed it, you can check some samples I recorded of the EHX Bass Microsynth here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26015"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26015[/url]

Edited by 1976fenderhead

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='287563' date='Sep 19 2008, 06:36 PM']Man, I wish my gf could afford a £180 presie for me *sigh*

Anyways if you missed it, you can check some samples I recorded of the EHX Bass Microsynth here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26015"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=26015[/url][/quote]
EHX Micro Synth all the way!! I had the older one and had to sell it to my drummer for cash, but i miss it every day. It kinda works in the same way as if you had a non-polyphonic Micro Pog, a bass Fuzz, a Boss Slow Gear and an awesome envelope filter all in one box, rather than some digital 'magic' like the Akai Deep Impact, so there are some sounds you can do, and some you cant. But its pretty unique. Hell i wanted 4 of them just to get some of my favourite settings at my feet without having to change settings on the pedal.

I also have or have owned the Ibanez Synth Bass pedal (another glorified envelope filter) and the Boss Syb3 and Syb5, both the boss pedals can make some cool sounds, but kinda suck when it comes to tracking.

I've had GAS for a XO BMS for a while, and in fact its my anniversary in a week and I was in the same situation as you, but I opted for my girl to get me MicroPOG coz I had to sell my old one to my Guitarist coz he fell in love with it.

I've been having another play with my Bass Micro Synth today. I've got a lot of synthy-noise-producing pedals (and another in the post) and I hadn't switched the BMS on for a while so I was trying to establish whether I was going to keep it or not. In short: Yes I am.

It's so flexible and easy to tweak, there are a whole bunch of different [i]and useful[/i] sounds in there. The lack of memory settings is a shame I'll concede, but once you're familiar with what the sliders do it's not too hard to find the sounds you want. The only downside is you can't switch between two sounds with your foot. But for me that's not a huge issue, given that I've got other pedals which have alternative synthy-noises ready to switch to.