Why become a member? ×

Bass Players on Camera

machinehead

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='29665' date='Jul 10 2007, 11:45 AM']4) It seems odd that with concert DVDs they don't have an extra feature where you can focus on one player for the show - wouldn't cost much to slap a feature like that on, and the market for 'MUSE in Wembley Special Edition: with extra Disc Featuring Matt Bellamy's fretboard for an hour' would actually be pretty significan, I reckon.[/quote]

It'd be nice to see more of that option. I have a Queen DVD and a Dream Theater DVD both with 'bass player cam' options for a few songs. The novelty still hasn't worn off. Deacon is god lol lol!

Don't let's forget the rest of the World is nowhere near as interested in basses and bass guitarists as we folks on here are. The vast majority of the World's population aren't the slightest bit bothered whether the bassist is playing a p-bass or a banjo. In fact a hell of a lot of them don't even know what a bass is. I wish I had a quid for every person (usually female, it has to be said) who having asked what I play and been told, proceeds to ask 'and what's the difference between a guitar and a bass?'. Several times I've made a comment regarding a band on TV, regarding the number of guitarists, and if I say they've got two guitarists my wife will say 'no they haven't they've got three!'.

People know I bite easily when they say 'bass is easier to play'. But, I have to stand up for us bass types... 'they' usually shut up when I show them all those lovely 'you tube' links to what we are doing with bass these days lol.

I call them ignorant. They don't have the mental capacity to understand the ability the likes of Jamerson demonstrated.

I don't think bassists should get lots of coverage; we ought to be the modest, the understated, the unrequited geniuses.

Although fellow bassists appreciate it, of course.

What about Flea? Or Mike Dirnt? Or Mark Hoppus? All of them are on camera as much as the rest of the band, and thats because they move around a bit (or a lot in Flea's case). If the bassist never seems to move or try to put on a show for the crowd the camera man wont bother filming them.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='38507' date='Jul 29 2007, 04:25 PM']I was whatching this vid of jason newsteads new band, and you'd think the ex-metallica bassist would have gained a little respect but no, he was shown for about 2 seconds of the whole song, also the band elliot minor never ever have shots of their bassist.[/quote]

haha yeah I'm working on that one! Maybe if I get my arse to the gym, shape up, I can pull off some Pete Wentz moves or something, oh yeah and while I'm at it I can learn to strum the bass!

Edited by elliotminor

[quote name='16Again' post='29770' date='Jul 10 2007, 02:27 PM']I hate bands with no bass player....white stripes, yuck, whats the point of them?[/quote]

well at least they have a reason for not having a bass player. (as in oly 2 people) unlike the yeah yeah yeahs where the singer is just too much of a lazy cow to actually LEARN AN INSTRUMENT!!!

[quote name='elliotminor' post='41104' date='Aug 3 2007, 10:24 PM']haha yeah I'm working on that one! Maybe if I get my arse to the gym, shape up, I can pull off some Pete Wentz moves or something, oh yeah and while I'm at it I can learn to strum the bass![/quote]

i think it would help if you actually stood in the general area of the rest of the band playing aswell.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='41187' date='Aug 4 2007, 09:16 AM']well at least they have a reason for not having a bass player. (as in oly 2 people) unlike the yeah yeah yeahs where the singer is just too much of a lazy cow to actually LEARN AN INSTRUMENT!!!
i think it would help if you actually stood in the general area of the rest of the band playing aswell.[/quote]

Well I will when those decisions are mine to make. I was just saying the people directing videos aren't often musicians, they are just trying to make a product that will look good and sell.