Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR800 Restoration

Mykesbass

Just won this on Ebay - been looking for a cheap project for a while, had hoped for something really bargain basement, but felt for £50 this should be a good shout:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231671093553"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231671093553[/url]

Will run a restoration diary to see how my first project (aside from putting together a kit P Bass) runs. Wish me luck!!

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1441568411' post='2859938']
Good Luck :)

Interesting project on a bass that has clearly had an interesting life....
[/quote]

Thanks for posting Andy - it was actually some of your work that got me interested in a project - although I have no hope of doing something as incredible as your transformations!

It sure has suffered, but hopefully under all that abuse is a nice MIJ bass waiting to shine once more!

Well it's here, and is in a very sorry state. As sort of expected with cracking as bad as that a lot has gone through to the wood. Active electronics don't look very active, but it is stripping easily, and the neck seems in good nick. Will post some picks in the morning.

[quote name='TheKcrimsonKing' timestamp='1442077313' post='2864292']
Any idea what electronics you're going to put in?
[/quote]

Only interesting affordable option I've seen so far is a Stinger, but will email Retrovibe to see if a blend pot can be added. All suggestions gratefully received!

Considered a toggle switch instead? Soloing pickups is very useful. That's what I've got in my P Lyte and works very well. With 2 volumes, it's very versatile. You might have to drill another hole for it if you want 2 volumes, though.

Got Koigon to make one up for me. If you tell him what you want it for, I'm sure he can do it so you can drop it straight in.

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1442221098' post='2865164']
Considered a toggle switch instead? Soloing pickups is very useful. That's what I've got in my P Lyte and works very well. With 2 volumes, it's very versatile. You might have to drill another hole for it if you want 2 volumes, though.

Got Koigon to make one up for me. If you tell him what you want it for, I'm sure he can do it so you can drop it straight in.
[/quote]

Interesting idea, got plenty of time before I make a decision on this bit. And yes, Koigon is a good call, and only a short trip away for me.

If you decide on a blend pot after all, try Googling Seymour duncan blend pot. You'll get lot's of diagrams of how to do it yourself. They're less than a fiver.

Again, Koigon might be able to help you with a drop-in solution.

Hell, if you send him the preamp, he might do the whole thing for you. TBH, I'm done pissing about with a soldering iron and trying to figure out wiring diagrams.

PS. think there was a stinger circuit for sale in the 'other music related items'

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1442222985' post='2865188']
BTW, we need pics now. :)

Good to hear the neck is good. That would be the only fatal defect, the rest I'm sure is just elbow grease.
[/quote]

Pics this afternoon - meanwhile I have completely and utterly lucked out on the electronics. Popped in too see my mate in the local music shop and told him about the project and his first reaction was "are the electronics OK?" when I said no he went to his drawer of "stuff that will come in handy one day" to produce a preamp from, yes, and Ibanez SR800, that had been there for some 10+ years!! :) :D :o

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1442231909' post='2865289']
Pics this afternoon - meanwhile I have completely and utterly lucked out on the electronics. Popped in too see my mate in the local music shop and told him about the project and his first reaction was "are the electronics OK?" when I said no he went to his drawer of "stuff that will come in handy one day" to produce a preamp from, yes, and Ibanez SR800, that had been there for some 10+ years!! :) :D :o
[/quote]

Result!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1442247212' post='2865477']
OK, pics so far: [url="http://s892.photobucket.com/user/mike_howell1/library/"]http://s892.photobuc...owell1/library/[/url]
[/quote]
Miraculous result there on the elects! Absolutely amazing!

Sad to see the body splits. That looks like it could be water damage. I'd welly some PVA glue in there, maybe water it down very slight for the first 1 or 2 applications, so it sinks into the bottom of the splits better. This has the makings of a really nice bass though.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1442248546' post='2865491']
'd welly some PVA glue in there, maybe water it down very slight for the first 1 or 2 applications, so it sinks into the bottom of the splits better. This has the makings of a really nice bass though.
[/quote]

Thanks Grangur, I'll add that to the ideas bank - was actually going to start seeking opinions on what to fill the cracks with. Current front runner is polyester resin or hot hide glue. PVA certainly sounds more attractive than the hot hide, and more straightforward than the resin.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1442260529' post='2865625']
Certainly a hot glue would be great if you have access to some. I was assuming you don't.
[/quote]

In the end impatience won the day - didn't want to lose another 72 hours obtaining and then preparing the hot hide glue, and PVA is way cheaper.

Just found some sealed syringes and needles from a 1994 holiday to India so have injected some watered down PVA, now waiting for it to dry before the next sanding.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1442331931' post='2866113']
In the end impatience won the day - didn't want to lose another 72 hours obtaining and then preparing the hot hide glue, and PVA is way cheaper.

Just found some sealed syringes and needles from a 1994 holiday to India so have injected some watered down PVA, now waiting for it to dry before the next sanding.
[/quote]

You might find using a paintbrush more effective. Really did the trick when fixing a cab with watered down PVA glue. Can really poke it into the cracks and avoid air bubbles.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1442334713' post='2866159']
You might find using a paintbrush more effective. Really did the trick when fixing a cab with watered down PVA glue. Can really poke it into the cracks and avoid air bubbles.
[/quote]

Thanks Sharkfinger, going quite well so far. Trying to get it proud but it is still sinking in. Guess it will be 3 or four applications as the cracks are pretty deep.