Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR800 Restoration

Mykesbass

Here we go - three coats of stain has produced a nice flat finish, with some subtle grain showing. A couple of bits that are still far from perfect - the biggest split, although now a smooth repair, is still visible, though partly because the PVA has made it shiny, so once the oil finish goes on and is polished up this will hopefully be less noticeable.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1446073078' post='2896783']
This has inspired me not to move on my sgc nanyo but to refinish it. May well be asking for advice.
[/quote]

Wow, delighted to hear that, but the only advice I think I can give is to not be too worried if it all goes horribly wrong!! This really has been a suck it and see exercise, driven on only by hating to see a bass of this calibre go to waste, and the kind comments and advice from others on here. (Actually, that's the second piece of advice, put a build thread up)!

Decided to bolt it all together to see how it is coming along. Bit of a shock first time, in that the beck fitted the pocket very poorly. Took it back off and shimmed either side, top with two strips of cereal packet, bottom with one. This seemed to line it up much better, and then when I screwed it back on it was much better. Strange, as it was still using all the original holes.

Still need to do all the electrics, and get a new nut - the old one is a bit grotty.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1446139446' post='2897287']
Did you remove the finish from inside the neck pocket? If so that might have something to do with the change in fit?
[/quote]

No, but the neck was painted all the way into the pocket, so yes, that makes sense. It was the fact that the holes match when straight, and when not straight - interesting how these tolerances work.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1446136716' post='2897246']
Decided to bolt it all together to see how it is coming along. Bit of a shock first time, in that the beck fitted the pocket very poorly. Took it back off and shimmed either side, top with two strips of cereal packet, bottom with one. This seemed to line it up much better, and then when I screwed it back on it was much better. Strange, as it was still using all the original holes.

Still need to do all the electrics, and get a new nut - the old one is a bit grotty.

[/quote]
That looks yummy!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1446136716' post='2897246']

[/quote]

That looks amazing. Can't even see the crack. You lucked out with the grain of the wood, I think.