Why become a member? ×

Connecting with your fans and social media

MiltyG565

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441386722' post='2858572']
Simple. The formula for optimum number of monthly band posts is ((N / B) -50) where N= total number of posts and B = total number of bands posting.

No need to thank me. :)
[/quote]

( ( N / B ) - 50 )

For clarity. No need to thank me. :mellow:

As to the OP: if one has fans, they're doing it in one's stead. If one hasn't fans, there's no-one to target, anyway. The concept is a myth, close to 'scam' status. It's as useful as tapping on an empty barrel, simply creating noise. There are a few (very few...) exceptions, mostly remote-controlled by mega-media giants, simply to keep up the 'spin' and 'create' events and 'virality' (a happy contraction of 'viral' and 'virtual reality' which I've just concocted; no need to thank me. The word'll go 'viral' shortly, but I've got the universal rights on it, that's all right, innit..?). 'A plague on all its houses' is my personal opinion, but, then again, I'm old, and wasn't 'there', so don't 'get it'. :happy:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1441388497' post='2858593']
if one has fans, they're doing it in one's stead.
[/quote]

In terms of promotion and getting new people on board with your music? Sure, fans do that. But fans also like to interact with the band, that's why bands and artists do things like Reddit "Ask Me Anything", they're an open opportunity for fans to ask a question, and potentially have them answered, and they're very popular. Bands should probably work out a way to bring a small slice of that into every social media post, shouldn't they?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1441388497' post='2858593']
( ( N / B ) - 50 )

For clarity. No need to thank me. :mellow:
[/quote]

Thank you.

That bloody insideparenthesessunglasswearingsmuglittlebastardsmiley B is getting right on my wick. He'll get a punch up the bracket next time.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441391684' post='2858619']
that's why bands and artists do things like Reddit "Ask Me Anything"... Bands should probably work out a way to bring a small slice of that into every social media post, shouldn't they?
[/quote]

Indeed so. My question would be:

Hey Ed: If you laid all your fans end to end along the M1 can I drive my car over them? And what's your bank card pin?

That's virality in action, see. B)
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1441391684' post='2858619']...shouldn't they?
[/quote]

Probably, in the same way as soap powders need promotion, despite their being all from the same company..! Exotic perfumes for Mother's Day and Christmas, latest X-Box mega-hit, a totally new spongy chocolate wafer... All these and more are vying for the attention of those willing to have their attention turned. If it's consumers one is after, it's part of the way of life, I suppose. Is any of it really genuine..? I have a certain cynical streak which precludes faith in such stuff; I tend to filter it all out as best as I can. I don't think I'm alone. Quality speaks for itself, in my (blinkered, old-hat, provincial...) view. If you need to make a ram-dam, there's summit innately up with the raw product. The more 'hype', the less I'm likely to react positively.
It takes all sorts, of course, hence the continuing success of Nigerian presidents asking for help getting millions out of the country, promising a quick buck for the gullible. It seems to work for them, so there are, indeed, enough fools, duffers and idiots out there. Not a following I'd like to have, but why pick and choose..? A 'like' is a 'like', isn't it..? <_<

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1441392791' post='2858634']
Probably, in the same way as soap powders need promotion, despite their being all from the same company..! Exotic perfumes for Mother's Day and Christmas, latest X-Box mega-hit, a totally new spongy chocolate wafer... All these and more are vying for the attention of those willing to have their attention turned. If it's consumers one is after, it's part of the way of life, I suppose. Is any of it really genuine..? I have a certain cynical streak which precludes faith in such stuff; I tend to filter it all out as best as I can. I don't think I'm alone. Quality speaks for itself, in my (blinkered, old-hat, provincial...) view. If you need to make a ram-dam, there's summit innately up with the raw product. The more 'hype', the less I'm likely to react positively.
It takes all sorts, of course, hence the continuing success of Nigerian presidents asking for help getting millions out of the country, promising a quick buck for the gullible. It seems to work for them, so there are, indeed, enough fools, duffers and idiots out there. Not a following I'd like to have, but why pick and choose..? A 'like' is a 'like', isn't it..? <_<
[/quote]

As a huge fan I'm disappointed. You didn't sign off with your usual '[i]...but what would I know?[/i] :mellow:'

If this is the big comeback tour you're going to have to raise your game a bit. Maybe tweet a few thoughts about chocolate wafers?
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441393291' post='2858645']
As a huge fan I'm disappointed. You didn't sign off with your usual '[i]...but what would I know?[/i] :mellow:'

If this is the big comeback tour you're going to have to raise your game a bit. Maybe tweet a few thoughts about chocolate wafers?
[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

Ah, but there's the rub, you see ([i]taps side of nose knowingly[/i]...)..! I [i]do [/i]know..! Well, at least, I [i]do [/i]know my own opinion on the profound utility of these so-called 'social media', unless there's a clear and direct answered call for their existence. Doing stuff just because it's 'to be done' is, for me, a non-starter. In any case, almost by the nature of things (as they seem to stand nowadays...) today's imperative is tomorrow's has-been. It's (yes, still imo...) a mug's game trying to keep abreast of whatever is coming over the horizon. In my younger, headier days, the perusal of 'Mad' magazine portrayed a routinely abject vision of 'Madison Avenue' from whence came a lot of the consumer manipulation of the time. Not really an education, I'll grant, but a warning to look further than the blithe presentation of the face value. Do whatever one wants to do, well, and one'll reap adequate rewards, commensurate with the diligence of one's efforts. Dead simple, but not popular with those wishing for instant gratification.
You're right, though. All this typing out my philosophical meanderings is, indeed, tiring. Not much of a return from beyond, eh..? I'll eat some dinner (rabbit, this evening...) and fall asleep watching an adaptation of an Agatha Christie tale on zee box. As you were; back later; much later...

Edited by Dad3353

It's pretty much a waste of time that you have to be seen to be doing as proof of life and not much else. Event "going" counts are a waste of time. Asking for feedback is a waste of time. Actually, getting feedback from almost everywhere is like pulling teeth. No-one even wants to tell us they think we're rubbish. I think the apathy hurts worse than being told you're crap, because at least that's a reaction.

In terms of promotion and getting new people on board with your music? Sure, fans do that. But fans also like to interact with the band, that's why bands and artists do things like Reddit "Ask Me Anything", they're an open opportunity for fans to ask a question, and potentially have them answered, and they're very popular. Bands should probably work out a way to bring a small slice of that into every social media post, shouldn't they?
[/quote]
do they interact with bands tho?
we rarely used to get asked questions and those we did get were often irrelevant. even in my more popular bands... all i see on twitter and instagram for popular bands is "oh please follow me" or "i love you" etc, not really interacting.
i think promoting to get a new fan base comes from local press and playing shows, keeping them up to date from there is as easy as a facebook post saying "we are playing this gig at this time etc".. there is no need to include the fan in your life... if you get what i mean?

[/quote]

Well, you don't ignore their posts too often.... but the idea is that the last gig got so many comments that the people that missed registered it as a gig they unfortunately missed so often say see you at the next one.
And this creates the buzz that is needed. Plus ppl talk outside of FB so musos will know you've had a good gig and will ask you about it.
They like to know who is hot and doing well....and will check you out... IF, there isn't typical musician jealousy/envy in the equation.
Pubs and LL's talk as well, so it is easy to create a buzz.... the hardest thing is to maintain it... which means you don't flog it to death,
and let ppl get bored and move on..