Why become a member? ×

Open Mic Nights – Huh? – What Are They Good For?

anaxcrosswords

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441635765' post='2860440']
do you want an open mic or a Jam session, the Hop Pole is mostly open mic, I think the one Kev B mentioned are Jam sessions
[/quote]
Either really - happy to try both. Dont get much opractice time at home although partner happy to give me night off for OM nights at church

Anyone with any experience has been helped when they were learning the ropes by older more experienced players.
I see open mic/jam nights as a chance to give some of that back to the new generation of new guys.

On the other hand I ran a jam night back in the late 1990s when I first got back to the UK and the beginners at THAT jam are still going to a jam in the town where I now live... and whilst they may have improved marginally they now think they are seasoned pros....

(looking over my shoulder nervously, in case I am one of them and dont realise it!!!) :D

Edited by ivansc

I really think open mics are a waste of time. They're are good for the noodlers that have no interest in actually ever going out and doing anything.They have their full time day jobs and music is and has always been a low priority. They get a chance to go up and noodle and impress their local friends and maybe family. Your not going to generate business or find opportunities at open mics. At least not around here. And if your a bass player you probably won't even get to play. These open mics are usually hosted by a house band and they usually only let their friends that play guitar and maybe blues harp sit in.

Now, I am a big fan of what we use to call jam sessions. A jam session was usually held in someones home and the local cats that could actually play would show up at these jams and a newbie that had something going on would have a chance to play with the local heavy hitters. These things would go on into the we hours of the morning. Unfortunately jam sessions are not a thing anymore, another lost portion of the art form.

Guys, just an old guys opinion. jam sessions were for real and upcoming locals musicians. Open mics originated with LLs seeking a way to get live music for free and take advantage of young musicians.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm not going to be quite that provocative - round here there are no bass players and I've had lots of offers to play. My relic p bass gets lots of admirers too from those who've seen them but never touched one or consciously heard one (the vicar is a big fan). I may as well have walked in with a balalaika in pink paisley
Sadly some of the offers to join are beyond my low ability or repertoire at the moment but it happens often.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1441867567' post='2862371']
I get to play bass at 100% of the Jam nights I go to, I sometimes play more than the house band guy, when I've been the house band I've let others sit in and use my bass. Sometimes Blue I read things about where you live and parts of it really suck.
[/quote]

I absolutely meant no disrespect with this post. Very hard to convey what I meant without sounding like an asshole so I just went with it.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1441868965' post='2862386']

I absolutely meant no disrespect with this post. Very hard to convey what I meant without sounding like an asshole so I just went with it.
[/quote]
I think if you expanded a little it may alleviate some of the sting. In its crude state it reads very disrespectfully and you do indeed come across as, in your own words "an asshole". I think I know what you are trying to say but You may have fallen a little short so perhaps a little expressive diversification is in order.
i.e.(explain yourself).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441891605' post='2862666']

So you're out on parole then?
[/quote]
In a manner of speaking - partner was pregnant and baby popped out unexpectedly early and was in hospital for quite a while. A fellow citizen of blue's

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1441892639' post='2862688']

In a manner of speaking - partner was pregnant and baby popped out unexpectedly early and was in hospital for quite a while. A fellow citizen of blue's
[/quote]
How lovely....
I also thought you'd been banged up but I'm a sleazy no hoper.

OK better explanation. Quite often when I read Blue's experiences it makes me realise just how lucky I am to be here and makes me grateful for the small but very friendly music scene we have in these parts. It seems that gigs are easy to find, turning down a gig doesn't mean I never get asked again, we get paid well enough for only short amounts of playing time (one thread about how long people had to play for was very eye opening to me), the jam scene is friendly, everyone gets to play, there are some genuinely talented people that attend, etc.etc.

I host an open mic night here in a donation based cafe inBanbury and we get a wide range of performers. So far we have had a didgeridoo player, a banjo player, flamenco, poetry, people doing songs from the musicals and even a lady playing the Doctor Who theme on a saw. Itnis always a welcoming atmosphere with no one judging anyone. I know of at least 3 guys who made their live debuts with us and now regularly gig for cash. Is it exploiting musicians to play for free? Thats your judgement but from my experience, just being somewhere that is a conduit for expression ina a warm and friendly atmosphere is worth it.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1441298580' post='2857746']

Maybe, but we've picked up quite a few proper, paid gigs off the back of our appearances at open mike events and it's a low-pressure space to try out new material in front of an audience.

And you can have a couple of beers and not worry too much about it :)
[/quote]

We do this, got a Christmas Party gig for a local pharmacy chain last week from one.

Doing one tonight actually - testing a few new ones, good vocal practice for the ladies, and we get to hear our normal set as an acoustic set (which saves is reheasing for paid acoustic gigs)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1441302046' post='2857785']
I'm a regular at open mics, playing acoustic guitar and singing, my singing has improved no end since I started doing them, then my partner joined me on drums (just a snare, hi hat and crash) gives us a common interest (playing music at a pub :) ) we actually played our first festival at the weekend ( a very small unpaid festival) but neither of us would have got anywhere if it wasn't for open mics. The band I play bass in also got a gig after one we did, someone came up afterwards and asked if we did gigs, no I said but my band does. :)
I don't really understand the hostility to open mics, they're good fun if you enjoy playing live and your playing is bound to improve.
[/quote]

There will always be exceptions. My main point, I prefer The old jam session format to the Open Mic.

Blue

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1441867567' post='2862371']
I get to play bass at 100% of the Jam nights I go to, I sometimes play more than the house band guy, when I've been the house band I've let others sit in and use my bass. Sometimes Blue I read things about where you live and parts of it really suck.
[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by "sucks".

Opportunities in bands that actually work consistently like my band, 70 plus shows annually are impossible to find.

If my band folded I'd be sunk.

All the publically advertised openings are for start ups, wannabes and bloaks that only want to gig once every couple of months,lame!

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441893481' post='2862705']

Fascinating - have you checked whether the bairn can actually have dual nationality?
[/quote]
She does
We had to decide which passport to apply for in order to bring her home

We took her back to the same hospital to visit as a one year old - she met her nurses and neonatal clinicians

Her name comes from Amelia street, near the hospital in FL

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1441893481' post='2862705']
Fascinating - have you checked whether the bairn can actually have dual nationality?
[/quote]

Sure can. My daughter was born in Nashville - we registered the birth with the UK embassy at the time and she now holds 2 passports and dual nationality.