Why become a member? ×

Wasn't especially tempted.....

Bassmonkey

Earlier today, I received a text from an unknown number. He said he'd seen us play recently and was asking if we could play at a forthcoming event. I asked for details of dates and fee and received this:
"We didn't initially plan a fee as it is a charity event. The initial idea was that despite no fee involved it would be a great chance for your band to expand it's audience to people unaware of the band and increase purchases of tour tickets in future. This will lead to a rise in capital through more purchases and a higher profit margin. Just an idea to throw out there. If you do not wish to attend we were wondering if you could help market the event to get more people through the door and raise more money towards the charity"

I politely declined.

To be fair to the lad. I don't think he was very old based on his texts. We get asked lots by pubs and clubs for their good old charity events. Means the bands play for free, the charity gets a donation (often unclear how much) the pub gets packed. The landlords earn a fortune. They honestly think they're doing us a favour by giving us exposure.

You declined? Think of the exposure!

EDIT - crossed post - you obviously [i]have[/i] thought about it.

'[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This will lead to a rise in capital through more purchases and a higher profit margin.' - Clearly an economics graduate...[/font][/color]

Edited by JapanAxe

I usually get a variation:

"oh LukeFRC you're a designer aren't you, I saw something you've done and liked it"
-Cheers
"I was wondering my business/charity/mum really would like a flyer/poster/logo is that the kinda thing you do?"
-well yes
"Well what it is is this [proceeds to explain]"
- so what you're saying is you would like me to create a whole advertising and publicity campaign for you
"well if it's not too much bother"
- why don't you email me all this and I'll get back to you with my rates and an estimate on how long it will take for you
"oh.... er rates? We don't actually have anything in the budget for design, we thought you might like to just help out..... "

- ...... !

[quote name='JoeEvans' timestamp='1439885336' post='2846400']
How about "Great! What's the charity? Is everyone involved doing it for free - sound engineer, bar staff, marketing? Are the promoters taking any of the door money to cover their costs?"
[/quote]This! You can be damn sure someone's getting paid.