Why become a member? ×

Fender 'dark green' finish - can you identify it?

JapanAxe

As far as I can make out, 60s custom colours had white (or parchment or mint) and tort guards. Apart from the single-ply black guard that was used from 51-56, there were no black guards until the slab bass of 66, then it reappeared sporadically from around 74 and was standard by 76. So the black guard is a 70s thing. But knowing Fender I'm sure it's quite possible they had one on a 69... it would have been one of the very first, though. I am of course ready to be corrected on this.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1439729434' post='2845247']
I can't comment on the green/black thing, but is a black scratchplate likely to be original on ANY '69 Precision? On a natural finish, maybe?

Not casting aspersions, just interested to find out.
[/quote]
[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1439731169' post='2845269']

Dunno, any 60s Precision gurus on here? The website description does mention a new tone pot and pickup.
[/quote]
[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1439734325' post='2845292']
I don't know when black pickguards first became available but I belive 1960s custom colours commonly had white pickguards.
[/quote]

Black guards were phased in by 1975. It's hard to see in the picture, but the thumbrest screws may be above the E string, either way in 69 they should be below the G string. That ain't the original guard.

I'd be very surprised if that finish was original, 69's I've seen have white undercoats and that colour doesn't look like a Fender colour anyway, even a lacquer aged one. The weight seems correct for that era though, that's good.

I'm no expert, just going by what I've seen.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1439736339' post='2845317']
Black guards were phased in by 1975. It's hard to see in the picture, but the thumbrest screws may be above the E string, either way in 69 they should be below the G string. That ain't the original guard.
[/quote]

You have better eyesight than me, I can't see any thumbrest screws! But you're right, if the thumbrest is on the bass side it's 73 and after, which I believe is the year the thumbrest (or tugbar), was moved from the treble side.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439736508' post='2845318']

You have better eyesight than me, I can't see any thumbrest screws! But you're right, if the thumbrest is on the bass side it's 73 and after, which I believe is the year when the thumbrest (or tugbar as was), moved from the treble side.
[/quote]w

iPad zoom in, saves my tired eyes many a time :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1439736339' post='2845317']
... It's hard to see in the picture, but the thumbrest screws may be above the E string, either way in 69 they should be below the G string. That ain't the original guard.
[/quote]

Well spotted, the thumbrest screw holes are clearly above the E string on my screen. Whatever else it is, that is an unlikely 1969 pickguard.