Why become a member? ×

Effects Power Supply

LewisK1975

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1441047326' post='2855675']
I'm running a Boss tuner, Boss overdrive, a Sansamp BDDI, Sansamp VT Bass DI and a Morley ABY. I'm planning on adding a chorus, but no rush. They're all 9v and the PSU outputs at that voltage. No issues.

I suppose if/when it carks out, I'll simply replace it like for like. Still can't see the point in spending any more.
[/quote]

Until you get a Digitech Whammy which needs 1300ma and won't even turn on with that power supply. Or an Empress delay pedal.

Horses for courses as always.

I've got the Gigrig set up because of some high current pedals. For ages I used a Voodoo Labs PP2 for the 9V low current pedals and then separate power supplies for the really thirsty ones, but it took up too much space on the board.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Gigrig users, for your recommendations - I recently upsized my pedalboard and needed a new PSU to cope with the new additions. Was going to get a Voodoo Labs Mondo, but thought I would check out this Gigrig thing of which you spoke (and of which I had never heard previously) ... and WOW! Exactly what I need - and light as a feather, too! Bought a base pack 4, and it ticks all the boxes brilliantly. One happy convert, here!

http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/

I've bought a 3A 8-way psu from them about 6 or 7 years ago and it's still going strong with no faults or damage. They sell other brands too.

Here's an old pedalboard pic with my psu:

(the pickle pie was replaced by the b3k and the proton wasn't funky/fat enough to take the GR's place)

I posted this in another thread, might be relevant here too:

Have you considered going to a battery pack instead? I've ditched external power supplies and been using a single rechargeable battery to power all my effects, I use the Sanyo Eneloop Pedal Juicehttp://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B007BZAGW4

It's superb. I run 2x500ma multi effects units and a TC Polytune and it easily lasts 2 sets with 30-40% power leftover. And it means one less mains socket to hunt out for powering your pedals from and a less leads trailing about the stage.

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1442745446' post='2869114']
I posted this in another thread, might be relevant here too:

Have you considered going to a battery pack instead? I've ditched external power supplies and been using a single rechargeable battery to power all my effects, I use the Sanyo Eneloop Pedal Juicehttp://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B007BZAGW4

It's superb. I run 2x500ma multi effects units and a TC Polytune and it easily lasts 2 sets with 30-40% power leftover. And it means one less mains socket to hunt out for powering your pedals from and a less leads trailing about the stage.
[/quote]

I actually looked into that sanyo thing when I looked into power supplies, but I just didn't feel totally confident with it. I know that there's not a piece of electronical equipment that is 100% reliable but I just felt that a traditional power block made more sense..... However, I still really like the idea of a battery so I may come back to it in the future.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1442761948' post='2869274']

I actually looked into that sanyo thing when I looked into power supplies, but I just didn't feel totally confident with it. I know that there's not a piece of electronical equipment that is 100% reliable but I just felt that a traditional power block made more sense..... However, I still really like the idea of a battery so I may come back to it in the future.
[/quote]I know what you mean, I still keep a mains power supply handy to swap in just in case! I know it's just a 'comfort blanket'...but I still feel the need for it for now at least.

Part of the reason I went for battery power in my pedal board was after 2 power supplies died when the cable broke where it enters the supply. It didn't seem to matter how much I tried to keep them out of the way someone would find a way to put their size 9's on the cable during a gig. Now the only cable connected to my pedal board is the one going to the amp and I've one less thing to worry about.