Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan

niceguyhomer

Just have to say that last night's Steely Dan gig at Hammersmith was absolutely fantastic. I would even go so far to say it was the best I'd ever been to.

Great atmosphere, band were as tight as the proverbial camel's arse in a sandstorm. Freddy Washington was top drawer and f. me what a drummer.

A lifelong ambition fulfilled and I wasn't disappointed.

I enjoyed the gig too. Very tight, as always. I've got to say, Ready Freddie is a great bassist, but for some reason he doesn't do too much for me.

During the encore I went down to the front to get some photos, and apologised to some guy for pushing in front to get a pic of Donald - turned to him to say "thanks" and it was only SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY!!

I stayed with him to the end, we were both dancing and jiving, he was clapping his hands and singing, loving it!

I was going to see if I could grab a picture with him afterwards but a guy he was with whisked him away pretty much as SD played the last chord.

Great stuff!

Nice one Mike - bassists stick together! :)

Whe I saw Cream at the Albert Hall I wondered why people were snapping me on their phone. Sitting behind me were Macca and H Mills, Ringo and his missus and...Tom Hanks! Didn't know whether to look at the stage or them.

They whizzed off during the encore too! :huh:

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='28501' date='Jul 8 2007, 08:05 AM']Just have to say that last night's Steely Dan gig at Hammersmith was absolutely fantastic. I would even go so far to say it was the best I'd ever been to.

Great atmosphere, band were as tight as the proverbial camel's arse in a sandstorm. Freddy Washington was top drawer and f. me what a drummer.

A lifelong ambition fulfilled and I wasn't disappointed.[/quote]

+1 to this post - SD were absolutely superb that night, & was really chuffed they did some of my faves such as "Peg", "Josie", & "Kid Charlamegne". Keith Carlock was definitely the other star of the show alongside Fagen & Becker, & Freddie Washington did a great job holding the bottom down - Chuck Rainey would be proud!

Now that the band are moving onto Europe, I would advise you guys to get your tickets & go, 'cos it's a great night out!!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

Twas a brilliant show.....! Keith Carlock and Freddie Washington were tight as a gnats chuff! Songs of the night for me.... 'Aja' complete with stunning drum fills....and a rousing finale of 'My Old School' !!

I was sitting 3 rows behind Paul McCartney..... and David Gilmour was also there.... he came over to say Hi to Paul and everyone stared in disbelief....

Two funny moments:

1) In the dark a guy tripped over Paul McCartney's foot and Paul half caught him. The guy said thanks and Kept walking oblivious as to who he had tripped over.

2) At one point a late arriver came down the aisle looking for his seat and stood next to the seated McCartney while he worked out where he was supposed to be sitting..... and then walked off.
The catch?: This bloke had a big 'Beatles' bag over his shoulder!!

Lol!

Edited by cetera

I've posted some photos if anyone's interested, it's in the other SD thread.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2604&st=0&gopid=29876&#entry29876"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry29876[/url]

Regards

Mike