Why become a member? ×

Vol/Vol/Tone to Vol/Blend/Tone

philw

I've just bought myself a lovely Squire VM PJ Precision (Lake Placid Blue now you asked), but as ever, I don't really get on with Vol/Vol/Tone. I'd much prefer Vol/Blend/Tone.

I'd be perfectly able to do a mod, but I could do with a circuit diagram and some pot suggestions. Anybody know where I'd find such a thing?

Phil

VVT vs VBT depends on the bass for me.

On a jazz it HAS to be vvt - there are sounds in there you just can't get with a balance control in my experience.

With a PJ I find it doesn't matter so much - a switch would do instead as I find mixing the P and J doesn't work that well. Talking passive electronics here though.

A little way down on this page is what you're looking for anyway: http://www.guitarnucleus.com/wiring.html

I've never really got on with VVT.

I like to keep a little volume back on the bass to quickly dial in during parts where the guitarist gets over excited and that's not really possible on a VVT without changing the tone.

It's fine for "set and forget" stuff but if you need to make adjustments on the fly it's not really the ideal setup IMO.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1437721725' post='2828421']
I've never really got on with VVT.

I like to keep a little volume back on the bass to quickly dial in during parts where the guitarist gets over excited and that's not really possible on a VVT without changing the tone.

It's fine for "set and forget" stuff but if you need to make adjustments on the fly it's not really the ideal setup IMO.
[/quote]

Exactly!

+1 for separate vol/tone for each pickup. Much more versatile and you can get the best of each pickup at any time. You can use the remaining hole on the control plate to add a blend or select switch if you wish for even more options and better control on-the-fly.

Remeber, Leo allways got it right the first time ;)

Edited by Ghost_Bass