Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Combo

hazzacanary

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a lightweight (10 KG at most!) combo amp to use primarily at jazz gigs with my upright or electric bass. Needs to be light enough so I can carry it easily while wheeling a double bass!

I know a few guys who have the Markbass Micromark 801, but if I wonder if there were any similar things I should consider?

Thanks,
H

[quote name='hazzacanary' timestamp='1436747056' post='2820449']
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a lightweight (10 KG at most!) combo amp to use primarily at jazz gigs with my upright or electric bass. Needs to be light enough so I can carry it easily while wheeling a double bass!

I know a few guys who have the Markbass Micromark 801, but if I wonder if there were any similar things I should consider?

Thanks,
H
[/quote]

Phil Jones Double Four.

It's tiny, but perfectly capable.

I use it for my solo stuff, but also in a 5 piece jazz band.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqMaOHJ9okE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqMaOHJ9okE[/url]

Guest Jecklin

2nd vote for you to try a double 4 if you can.

Mine has changed my life in terms of carting equipment to gigs.

It has quite a nice natural sound which works with acoustic instruments.

I'm very happy with my Fender Rumble(V3) 100. Obviously larger than the MicroMark and the PJB stuff (being 12" speaker) but weighs nothing, costs around £230 new and sounds great.

I use mine in a rhythm and blues trio for pub gigs and rehearsals and never had it on more than half volume. No issues so far either.