Why become a member? ×

BeLow

[quote name='Platypus' post='315277' date='Oct 26 2008, 06:48 PM']Mike, think you had probably left by the time I arrived - pity as would have liked to have said hi[/quote]

Yes Paul, it's a shame as I would have liked to have seen you too-unfortunately I wasn't able to stick around and tell you in person how pleased I am with the Precision-although it's not getting much use right now as I've got tennis elbow! I'm sure there'll be another time.

Thoroughly enjoyed Stuart C's seminar on Saturday, some great skills and a wonderful sound from that GBEBS combo..! Wish I'd known so may of my fellow BCers were in there... I was the one asking about double-thumbing, and Stu's following explanation was very thorough and easy to understand. I might even give it a bash myself now!
The Manson weirdies were interesting to behold, no doubting the beautiful craftsmanship in the mermaid and the 21-string acoustic monster, but not my cup of tea sonically.
Had a quick bash on that lovely blue Lakky DJ5, and am now GASing for one big-style. What a fabulous sound. Love it.
My gtrist mate was very taken with the seriously clever Peavey amp sim recording software, incredible stuff. Some lovely jazz guitars in abundance on the various stands too.
Disappointed in the Gibson stand, a huge range of Les Pauls and very little else.
VERY disappointed in the Fender stand... [i]one[/i] bass? Come on guys, not good enough by half.
Nice to see Jim Marshall... The Father Of Loud, indeed. The daddy of music as we know it. Respect.
Gutted to have missed JJB though!
I came away with a few freebies, my one cash investment of the day was one of the [url="http://www.chiptrac.co.uk/musitrac.htm"]Musitrac instrument microchip [/url]thingies. Have just installed it in the Shuker, a bit nerve-racking drilling a hole in my pride and joy but a dead easy job and a bit of peace-of-mind.

Just driving home - well, more accurately stopped off for some healthy kfc and through the wonders of mobile technology I'm catching up on the thread. So yeah, an interesting show - not too big but some interesting things to see.

Anyway, MoJoKe - glad you liked my GB. You really have to play, hear and feel how great these GBs are. Granted that everybody loves their choice of instrument and thinks that they are the dogs blx but you got to admit after playing a GB, there is something special about Bernie's basses! Hope that you join the GB club soon!

PS - nice legs :)

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='315210' date='Oct 26 2008, 06:18 PM']Well that was fun, though didn't get to spend as much time there as I had hoped, but met Stuart, EBS_Freak and saw the ferrets' babies.

I played a few things and then spent a very long time talking to Bernie Goodfellow, having my thoughts changed about who will make my custom bass! I had originally set my heart on a new Wal, but having played EBS_Freak's GB Rumour I am now having a very serious re-think!!

Thanks for your time guys, and next time I shall ignore smart-alec suggestions about leg apparail, and save myself such embarrassment!![/quote]

OK here they are...

[attachment=15215:sebass01.jpg]
GB and EBS UK stand

[attachment=15216:sebass02.jpg]
Stuart Clayton doing his thing - tapping/finger style...

[attachment=15217:sebass03.jpg]
Stuart Clayton doing his thing - slap style...

[attachment=15218:sebass04.jpg]
The God Father of RAWK - Jim Marshall

[attachment=15219:sebass05.jpg]
Andy Manson's mermaid guitar

[attachment=15220:sebass06.jpg]
EBS pedals, strings and token Fafner

[attachment=15221:sebass07.jpg]
Uncle Bernie, Hugh Manson and JP checking out an EBS Octabass

[attachment=15222:sebass08.jpg]
Justin Hawkins glancing at the foxy Meryl Streep-esque babe who was wandering around...

[attachment=15223:sebass09.jpg]
Bernie Goodfella (sic), Hugh Manson and JP test driving the EBS Octabass and EBS compressor

[attachment=15224:sebass10.jpg]
Much knob tweaking fun whilst JP obviously is needing a slash...

And the joke of the day on the EBS stand...

"Why do Morris dancers never have circumcisions?"

"Because you need to be a complete pr*ck to be a Morris dancer" :)

Til next time...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='BeLow' post='315472' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:53 PM']Justin Hawkins glancing at the foxy Meryl Streep-esque babe who was wandering around...

Was the lady who was isnging on the Ampeg stand on Saturday afternoon?[/quote]

No... but feck me... she wasn't half foxy either!

[quote name='BeLow' post='315476' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:59 PM']I felt rather sorry for her - I was just about to go when I heard her singing, while she delivering an accoustic ballad, some Oik of a guitarist round the corner was doing something distorted and loud on a marshall. I suppose this is par fot the course at these things though.

Also the Leisure centre tannoy announcements in the seminar room 'took the edge off' a couple of the performances.[/quote]

Yeah - they had a hard time. I felt sorry for the acoustic guys in the corner who were surrounded by Hugh's Fuzz Factory modified Squiers and Bare Knuckle pickups!

[quote name='Rich' post='315334' date='Oct 26 2008, 08:22 PM']VERY disappointed in the Fender stand... [i]one[/i] bass? Come on guys, not good enough by half.[/quote]

I commented on the lack of Fender basses to the same guy who palmed me the MAAAASSIIVE teeshirt, and he told me they were all on their "other" stand.....

I think he must have forgotten to tell me that the "other" stand was at "another" guitar show, cos I couldn't find it!!!!

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='315516' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:54 AM']he told me they were all on their "other" stand.....[/quote]
Other stand my arse... from what I could see, there was [i]one[/i] Fender bass in that entire room :)
Ah well, the Lakkies are miles better anyway.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='315477' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:03 AM']Yeah - they had a hard time. I felt sorry for the acoustic guys in the corner who were surrounded by Hugh's Fuzz Factory modified Squiers and Bare Knuckle pickups![/quote]

Yes, it did all get rather too much of a din from time to time (sorry from me when I had any part in this, but blame Bernie G for I didn't touch any amps!!). For such a successful event, it perhaps may be better to consider a bigger or multi room venue next time, so there might be a more effective split of sound areas, with consideration, but not [i]just [/i]for the benefit of the acoustic guys....

[quote name='Rich' post='315565' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:45 AM']Other stand my arse... from what I could see, there was [i]one[/i] Fender bass in that entire room :)
Ah well, the Lakkies are miles better anyway.[/quote]

Hmmmm, yes. Tell me, what is it about Lakland though? I didn't get a chance to play one, but I heard a couple of guys in the bass bit and everyone I heard playing the 5'ers had the "B" flapping and farting like a nobodies business....? (It didn't however help with all other din in the background!!)

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='315641' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:55 AM']Hmmmm, yes. Tell me, what is it about Lakland though? I didn't get a chance to play one, but I heard a couple of guys in the bass bit and everyone I heard playing the 5'ers had the "B" flapping and farting like a nobodies business....? (It didn't however help with all other din in the background!!)[/quote]

Lakland are pretty good - it surprises me that you found the B flapping as Laklands usually have a pretty good B, partly due to their 35" scale length. I didn't see any US Lakland stuff there yesterday - just the Skyline series stuff. The Skyline stuff is very well made (made in Korea but set up and inspected at Lakland in the US) and usually have a pretty middle to low action. I play with a very low action (because I am a pansy) and the Lakland can cope with it with minimal fretbuzz or clanking. They come with the same electronics etc as the US range and in my opinion, they are great basses for the money... at least I think that compared to the price you pay for a Fender and compare the Lakland you would get for the money, in most cases, the Lakland would win hands down. At the end of the day, it's personal preference and it all depends on whether you want a Fender decal on your headstock.

The US stuff is really nice. The woods they use are great... but obviously they have a much higher retail than the Skyline stuff.

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='315632' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:50 AM']Yes, it did all get rather too much of a din from time to time (sorry from me when I had any part in this, but blame Bernie G for I didn't touch any amps!!). For such a successful event, it perhaps may be better to consider a bigger or multi room venue next time, so there might be a more effective split of sound areas, with consideration, but not [i]just [/i]for the benefit of the acoustic guys....[/quote]
Yes, dividing the electric from the acoustic would be a good idea... tell you what though, compared to the last couple of shows I'd been to, this one was almost silent..! And all the better for it.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='315726' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:49 PM']I wondered if JP would be there as a long time user of Manson's basses. Bet Bernie would have loved to sell him a GB :)[/quote]

Yup - but I suspect his friendship with Hugh Manson runs deep!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='315836' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:23 PM']Man, did you watch Saw 2 last night... being thrown in a pit of hypodermic needles to find a key seems a little nasty for my liking...[/quote]
Oh my god... I have something approching a phobia of needles... if I'd seen that, I think I'd have fainted.

I got there for an hour or so Sunday - great to see an event like this in the South West. Tried a few things out (the Custom Shop Pino Pbass, nice Pbass but very pricey and no better than my bravewood...) and chatted to a few people.

I missed some of the luthiers...although everyone could hear Bernie! I did see one of Hugh Manson's current basses there and Andy's wonderful guitars, but there were no Overwaters, Jaydees, Seis, Shukers or my favourite Cliftons. Shame that.

I'm impressed with Manson's "own brand" strings - very good for the price.

BB

I was only able to get there for a couple of hours early on the Saturday so missed the bass workshop sessions. Still, got to listen to Stuart Clayton on the GB stand - he's not bad I suppose :) . I liked his comment to one punter "Sure I play like this at exhibitions but we've all still got to play Mustang Sally at the weekend". Also got to meet and have a quick chat with JJ Burnel (got a poster signed for a mate who's a massive fan) and meeting Jim Marshall was cool.

Not a lot of bass stuff but still worth a visit.