Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection model ID help.

Dodge

Hi guys,

Just taken receipt of this - it appears to be a 'proper' SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, with active electronics from 91. As far as I can tell from Happy Jack's excellent sticky post, it's either an SB301 or 310. Anyone know what the difference was? There's no model number on it - but it's got the SGC active pickups, Gotoh tuners and appears to be a lot of bass for what I parted with for it.

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

Hmmm, I'd be inclined to think it was the 310 out of the two options you give!
I had, what I seem to remember being, a 335 - 5 string with soapbar pickups, active/passive switch.
Wish I still had it actually, really good basses!!

Si

I think it's a 310 from the original series. It's basically the same as the 301 (which I have) but the active electronics would make it a 310.

If you remove the control cavity plate, there should be a serial number on a sticker somewhere inside the cavity.

Nice score - they're lovely basses.

Dave

[quote name='TheRev' post='271621' date='Aug 28 2008, 10:59 AM']I think it's a 310 from the original series. It's basically the same as the 301 (which I have) but the active electronics would make it a 310.

If you remove the control cavity plate, there should be a serial number on a sticker somewhere inside the cavity.
Dave[/quote]

Thanks Dave - I'd already located the serial number and dated it from 91.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='271627' date='Aug 28 2008, 11:11 AM']What's going on with the E & G strings on the headstock? - looks cool![/quote]

The E&G tuners are upside down on the headstock so it allows a straighter string path over the nut. It's supposed to be strung that way as far as I know.

[quote name='Dodge' post='271654' date='Aug 28 2008, 11:42 AM']The E&G tuners are upside down on the headstock so it allows a straighter string path over the nut. It's supposed to be strung that way as far as I know.[/quote]
Correct. You often seen them strung incorrectly. This one looks like its got too many wraps round the posts.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='271688' date='Aug 28 2008, 12:25 PM']Correct. You often seen them strung incorrectly. This one looks like its got too many wraps round the posts.[/quote]

Absolutely. All cleaned up and restrung now though with 40-100 stainless - very pleased and a bargain to boot.

Just back from hols and slow to this thread.

That's an SB310 (as several have already said). I wouldn't swap it for one of my own SBs (a 320, a 325 and a 330) but it's a cracking bass which will blow away most Fender clones and a fair number of genuine Fenders too.

Enjoy.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='276441' date='Sep 3 2008, 06:09 PM']I call it a bargain; the best I ever had :) Cheap as chips as old orange face would say :huh:[/quote]

I'm not gonna argue, it's a peach. I've had some bargains in my time, but I can't see me ever getting more bass per £.

Here's its twin, not far down the road from me. If I hadn't already paid more for one in worse condition :-( I'd be after this one.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-COLLECTION-ACTIVE-BASS-FROM-JAPAN-CASE_W0QQitemZ150288445275QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-COLLECTION-ACTI...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='278568' date='Sep 6 2008, 01:33 PM']Saw a fretless one of these on the wall of my local guitar shop this morning in ok condition for £450[/quote]

Ouch! They're good, but I wouldn't part with that for one. But I'm impressed enough with this one that I'm now on the hunt for one of the more upmarket models (Happy Jack seems to expert on those), as well as a 5-string to add to the fleet.

I'm not totally in love with the glossy neck finish (been spoilt with too many Warwicks), and the onboard preamp isn't the best - but set flat and into a Yamaha NE-1 or similar gives some excellent results that you wouldn't expect from a budget bass. I suspect with some decent passive pickups and an outboard preamp, this thing could be even more versatile.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='278568' date='Sep 6 2008, 01:33 PM']Saw a fretless one of these on the wall of my local guitar shop this morning in ok condition for £450[/quote]

£450! Expect it to hang there for a while. :)

Dodge, if you're serious about getting an SB325 then maybe we should talk. I no longer play my SB325 and I was only hanging on to it in case my son ever gets around to moving on to a 5-string.

If you're interested, PM me.