Why become a member? ×

Too loud - it's becoming a problem

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1434551503' post='2800702']
We did, for a short period. It was dreadful! It just encouraged huge amounts of mindless comments aimed to make people laugh, and took away from proper discussion.
[/quote]

People should have neg'ed them then shouldn't they! I've always found them useful but never mind...

On thread; it seems the answers have already been given - One cab for smaller venues, volume down, EQ tweaked. I'd add don't drink too but that's not very rock n roll now is it!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1434558141' post='2800787']
if you *really* want to keep it turned up, you could get a marshall powerbrake or similar.
[/quote]

Not much point with a solid state amp though, all your doing is stressing it and heating it up a bit more.

Edited by bassman7755

I don't know it this is at all relevant but I'll trot it out anyway. I recently moved from 2 x Barefaced cabs (Compact + Midget) with a TC Electronic 450 head to a Supercompact and single head - either TC RH 750 or - my first choice - a Markbass LM Tube 800. So going from a less powerful amp and 4ohm load to more powerful amp and an 8ohm load. I did this mainly so I wasn't carrying so much kit around, rather than any aim to improve my sound which I was quite happy with.

Despite the extra power in the new head(s) with the new set up I have less headroom and need to up the amp volume in terms of where the dial; is (over halfway now, used to be around 10 O'clock), so in effect I suppose I am driving both the amp and the cab more. I seem to now get a quality of tone that I was missing with the last set up - more guts, greater 'growl' or 'tone' whatever that is. It pleases me more than the last set up.

Of course it could be down to the Supercompact being a better cab or that the MB LM Tube 800 in particular has the quality about it that I have been looking for (although I had a similar but not so marked improvement from the TC RH750). Either way I am really pleased with this unexpected improvement, although from what Alex said in post #40 this seems to be part of the plan :) It might be worth persevering with your single cab/existing amp set up.

I wouldn't get a lesser powered amp , when pub is full of punters that's going to change all the acoustics So have a walk out the front if you can or ask a friend you trust to walk around to check sound levels , positioning of your rig can also make a huge difference , I think it's more of an EQ thing , playing stuff like Stranglers ,Jam , Yes , Rush you the bass doesn't need to be that loud just a different EQ , I always try to have my volume just below the volume of the bass drum .

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1434877380' post='2803436']
Hiho ,might be as simple as get it off the floor
[/quote]

Yep, a big +1 to this, have just read this entire thread thinking about that and saw your comment in the end. could'n agree more. Raising the cab off the floor reduces floor coupling (sub-bass) and brings the sound closer to ear level wich makes it easier to hear at a lower volume setting without loosing that punchy feel. I allways use my cabs/combos raised, even my BF Super12T. IME it gives me a clear and defined sound at a very decent and comfortable volume for me and my bandmates. Try this Jenny and see how it goes.