Why become a member? ×

A more Rock Looking Roscoe Beck V

NJE

I dont quite know whether I have put this in the right place, or even why I put it up but have a look anyway.

I was having a read through some old magazines the other day and came across Christain Olde Wolbers (ex Fear Factory Bass player and now guitarist) playing a custom shop Fender which more than resembled a Roscoe Beck. I then also noticed Fear Factory's new bass player Byron Stroud with the same bass and another very Rock looking fender V.

Now I have a Roscoe Beck and love it more than anythin but have always fancied something black with maple board and matching head with block inlays and here it is, this is my perfect bass (with an additionof different pickguard)

[attachment=12679:fear_factory_04.jpg]
[attachment=12680:Byron.jpg]
[attachment=12681:fearfact...feature4.jpg]
[attachment=12682:6_r32739.jpg]

I love the headstock, it almost looks like the flared 70's strat ones. I realy want one of these to go with my beck so now the descision is, who do I get to build it for me, or do I do it myself with parts?

I was thinking Mr Shuker, and also Sei, but then the cheap side of me said look at warmoth parts and try it yourself!

I am going to look into it because I really think this could be my perfect custom bass. I would have bought the original if I had known it was for sale in a heartbeat, lovely bass.

Apparently Fender had to ask Roscoe Becks permission to build Christain Olde Wolbers' bass!

There's always the refinish option Nathan. You'd be hard pressed to get the same pickups in a custom build if you wanted it to be as close as possible.

Missing my old RBV now...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='270922' date='Aug 27 2008, 12:43 PM']Apparently Fender had to ask Roscoe Becks permission to build Christain Olde Wolbers' bass!

There's always the refinish option Nathan. You'd be hard pressed to get the same pickups in a custom build if you wanted it to be as close as possible.

Missing my old RBV now...[/quote]

I remeber reading that somewhere actually! I could never do anything to my RBV It is staying the same never going anywhere. I wouldnt risk ruining the mojo we share. :)

I just want something to go with it, and maybe even put 2 band EQ in. Actually quite similar to the Valenti that was in the sale thread. you are right though, getting the pickups to give me a similar sound may be difficult.

I am also liking the look of the RB 4 string thats still lurking around.....Everything is depending on whether I get my Job next week.

I'd vote for a refinish and a new neck.
You could either go with a Warmoth job, but that depends on the RBV neck joint, failing that though, I'm sure Jon Shuker would do the refinish and build you a new neck to your specs.

I'd always wondered about that Fear Factory bass, very very nice...

Cheers,
Eude

A refinish could be an idea, but as I am very reluctant to mess with something that feels so right. Ideally as some have suggested it could be a Job for Mr Shuker.

I would love something to go along side the Beck that feels very similar but with the pimped neck, black hardware, and some active EQ. It is very tempting. I will see how my interview goes and maybe just maybe if i get the job, I may put in a call and see what Mr Shuker can do for me......even the thought of it is making me shake with excitement.

[quote name='NJE' post='270862' date='Aug 27 2008, 11:25 AM']I dont quite know whether I have put this in the right place, or even why I put it up but have a look anyway.

I was having a read through some old magazines the other day and came across Christain Olde Wolbers (ex Fear Factory Bass player and now guitarist) playing a custom shop Fender which more than resembled a Roscoe Beck. I then also noticed Fear Factory's new bass player Byron Stroud with the same bass and another very Rock looking fender V.

Now I have a Roscoe Beck and love it more than anythin but have always fancied something black with maple board and matching head with block inlays and here it is, this is my perfect bass (with an additionof different pickguard)

I love the headstock, it almost looks like the flared 70's strat ones. I realy want one of these to go with my beck so now the descision is, who do I get to build it for me, or do I do it myself with parts?[/quote]
Great idea! That looks great in black... Like you though, I wouldn't dream of making any changes to my RBV.

There was a set of RBV pick ups for sale on Ebay in the States last week, so getting some for a custom build may be possible, though admittedly, not very easy as those were the first accessory for a Roscoe Beck bass that I think I've seen on ebay in a couple of years... I did consider bidding on them and putting them in my Fender Jazz 5 but then decided against it..

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Roscoe-Beck-5-string-bass-Replacement-PUPs-NIP_W0QQitemZ160270581043QQihZ006QQcategoryZ22670QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Roscoe-Beck-5...idZp1638Q2em122[/url]

Aren't the dual coil Nordstrand pick ups that were in Tayste's Valenti #11 that was for sale recently pretty similar? I think Shuker might be the best bet in the UK but maybe Nino Valenti would be worth talking to as he's a member on Basschat as well?

To get as close as possible, feel-wise, I'd go with Jon Shuker as he can basically clone your bass with a few measurements. Nino does great work from what I've seen over on TB, but I think he's restricted on neck profiles, etc. and as anybody who's played an RBV will tell you the neck profile is pretty special!

Nortstrand DCs are probably the closest pickup on the market to the RBV's Bill Lawrences, although with the Nordies you have to make the decision whether you'll use them in series or parallel most, as they're wound differently depending on this.

lwtait - in theory getting hold of an RBV and having it refinished might be the simplest option, except they're no longer made in 5 string form and there aren't too many around for sale! Nathan only got this one as I didn't see a need for the B string in my current band.... so what have I just replaced it with? Another 5 string. Yes... I'm a tit... that'll teach me (although the Bongo does indeed ROCK!)

I have been all over the fancy interweb fandango and found another Roscoe Beck V for sale in the states but the dude will not ship. To be honest it is less than a day to the end of the auction and i need to wait to hear about my job before buying anything else, but it is $685 with 11 hours to go.

I think buying another RBV is going to be the best bet (if I ever find one) and having J. Shuker build me a maple neck will be the most sensible option, (I would want to have one exactly as is) although a complete custom build would be awesome as I do love his work.

This is the RBV for sale in the states....I would actually keep the colour and just have a new flamed maple neck built with binding and blocks.......it would look sexual!

[attachment=12716:1541_1.jpg]
[attachment=12717:2453_1.jpg]