Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Shootout. First a little blindtest...

Bass Pedal Geek

As some of you know I have been working on a jazz bass shootout inspired by the P bass shootout I did last month.

It is more or less ready, but I have received some notes from you guys and through the website that a blindtest might be fun. So I decided to start with that... For now, I have just uploaded one sound file with clips of 6 jazz basses: MIA Fenders from 66, 72, 79, 83 and 08 plus a Fodera Emeror with single coils and bolt-on neck in passive mode.

It's just for fun, there is no prize if you can list the basses correctly, and a few weeks from now, I will upload the full shootout with more clips and all the details about each bass. Until then, have fun!

[url="http://bass-pedals.com/jazz-bass-shootout-blind.html"]Jazz Bass Shootout Round 1 Blindtest[/url]

PS. If you wonder about the strings, they are a known-brand-name. They are roudnwound nickels (0.45) and they are brand new. I swapped the strings on every bass before recording it, so it's not only the same kind of strings, it's [i]the[/i] [i]exact[/i] same strings.

Yup - they all sound like Jazzes!

Importantly - they all sound very good. I think I can hear a "voicing" difference between the 60's and 70's spacing. So here's my guesses:

[spoiler]
1: Fender Jazz Bass 1972
2: Fender Jazz Bass 2008
3: Fodera Emperor (passive mode)
4: Fender Jazz Bass 1979
5: Fender Jazz Bass 1983
6: Fender Jazz Bass 1966

[/spoiler]

Edited by PlungerModerno

Interesting. I listened through completely and thought the first 4 sounded identical!! If you jump around by clicking on peaks however, I was able to start to detect the differences, with brightness, smoothness and bark changing slightly. That said, I have no chance of identifying what's what, and the changes are subtle enough that it required multiple listenings and hopping between the peaks quickly. My ear 'reset' itself in the breaks whilst listening normally, so I really struggled to identify the changes.

As an aside, I've been meaning to say for a while that I like the website and enjoy the various reviews and shootouts. Thanks!

Hmm an interesting test!
#5 sounds different to the rest so I'd say that's the Fodera.
#1 and #3 sound a tiny bit crisper so I think the '72 is one of these (say #3)
The rest all sound much the same to me ...

Thanks for all your thoughts! As has been mentioned #5 stands out. And yes that is the Fodera. :)

A quick scan on the guesses. No one got them all correct. Would also have surprised me.

But stay tuned for a little while longer. When I post the full shootout there will be bridge PU soloed and slap clips and then the differences start to become more pronounced.

Plus! Can't stress enough that tou should listen with headphones to hear the very subtle differences in this first clip.