Why become a member? ×

What year can this Tokai be?

Immo

Any Tokai fans here? A guy sells this guitar. He says he's the distributor of Tokai in Poland. He claims it's a Japanese 2014 Tokai TJB70 Jazz Sound.
I won't show you pics because the guy already wants to sue me - he's the distributor, so I'm offending him and his words.
The bas is immaculate condition. It has ash body, rosewood fingerboard and Fender-shaped headtsock tjhat has the Tokai logo, "Jazz Sound Electric Bass" in a typical Fender style font and "Oldies but Goldies" inscription instead of "Original Contour Body". It looks just like this one:

But in way better condition. The logo was used since 1986.

I told him it was weird to see a 2014 non-Fender bass with a Fender-shaped headstock and my quick research says "Oldies but Goldies" were only made between ~'82 and ~'86, while Tokai was still copying the Fender headstock. He says I'm talking bollocks and no bass that is about 30 years old can be in this immaculate condition. "And I'm the distributor, blah blah, I'll sue you." I think the '86 Tokai Jazz Sound in condition like that is nothing to be ashamed of, really.

As it's weird indeed, I think it's possible to see a 29 YO bass in this condition - heck, my 1983 peavey T-40 had body in a mint condition before I bought her and dinged her once or twice. Could this Tokai be NOS bass, for example? Or some sort of a 'factory closet find" - a bass that laid dormant in some official warehouse and was recently found?
I just can't believe it's a 2014 instrument.

I last sold these in 2006 and the head looked just like on the website... http://www.tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=115&category_id=6&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

I wouldn't trust a 'sue happy' guy.