Why become a member? ×

"Adaptive volume control "?!

operative451

Hi everybody!
I've got a warwick blue cab 15, which is quite fab actually! However, one thing is driving me nuts: all the blurb i can find about it tells me it has an "innovative adaptive volume control" but nothing tells me what that is!

My best guess is as it gets as loud as its going to get at about half volume, but then sort of 'warms up' in a growly compressiony sort of way if you turn it up more, that its something in the pre-amp that's not quite compression? It sounds nice anyway. But the only info i can find about 'adaptive volume' on google talks about cars and the stereo getting louder as you go faster, and its probably not that!

[quote name='operative451' timestamp='1431605649' post='2773059']
Hi everybody!
...But the only info i can find about 'adaptive volume' on google talks about cars and the stereo getting louder as you go faster, and its probably not that!
[/quote]
That is one of the most irritating things ever invented! I'm just glad they made it so it can be disabled. :)

Edited to say, it actually works the other way around. You set the volume regardless of speed, but then when you slow down, it turns down.
I think the inventor of that feature deserves to go here...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/04/05/how-long-could-you-last-in-the-worlds-quietest-room-the-record-is-only-45-minutes/

Sorry for going OT.

Edited by xgsjx

AFAIK the 'loudness' switch on old stereos (back in the 70s, 80s?) was intended to increase bass when playing music at lower volumes to take account of how we perceive sound (in that we're more sensitive to higher frequencies at lower volumes) so maybe an adaptive volume control does something similar?

If the control is anti-log (UK) or reverse log/ reverse audio them it is likely that the volume control is a baxandal volume control. This is where the potentiometer controls the gain of the preamp rather than the preamp boosting the signal then a pot attenuating it,

This technique was used in the old HH amps.

It has several advantages but none you could hear and I believe Warwick were using "marketing speak" when they described it.