Why become a member? ×

Beer and 'exposure' are now legal tender

Rich

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1430589023' post='2762949']
I hope it goes well young Skankster , I guess you upstarts need to grab every chance you can ;)
[/quote]

Thank you - we certainly do. Two of the buggers are off in France for 5 weeks in June (doing up a flat in Nice). When they get back in July we'll be auditioning fiddle players and firming up the new set. So a Saturday afternoon in August in a brewery just down the road from us is perfect timing and location. Even if it's sh*t and there's no one in the audience it won't matter.

The additional wrinkle is that everyone in this band is playing their 'second' instrument. So I'm on ac guitar / vox, the bass-player's a harmonica-ist and the drummer's a guitarist. Based on the potential auditionees for the fiddle seat we'll probably be looking at a folkie tin-whistle player, a female goth drummer and an elderly jazz pianist. :lol:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1430495435' post='2762076']
The very fact that there are venues/promoters who think that music should be provided for free and feed performers no sustenance other than BS about what great "exposure" it'll be if they play their gig is why this article exists. If you can't (or won't) understand that, then you've clearly never experienced it.
[/quote]

When an agreement is struck to do a gig, part of that agreement is surely "what are we, the performers, getting out of it?"

If mere "exposure" isn't sufficient, don't do the gig.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1430495435' post='2762076']
That's great for you, but spare a thought for others who have gone through what feels like a bruising haggling session just to squeeze a drop of fuel money out of these tight fisted so and sos.
[/quote]

If you're aware beforehand that it's a freebie, and the gig was accepted/agreed on that basis, what exactly are you haggling over?

Edited by barkin

[quote name='barkin' timestamp='1430589665' post='2762957']
When an agreement is struck to do a gig, part of that agreement is surely "what are we, the performers, getting out of it?"

If mere "exposure" isn't sufficient, don't do the gig.

If you're aware beforehand that it's a freebie, and the gig was accepted/agreed on that basis, what exactly are you haggling over?
[/quote]

There are "promoters" out there who expect to get your services for nothing, and the OP put up a link to a sarcastic response to that. I didn't say anything about accepting a gig for free, so why are you bringing that up in response to something I said?