Why become a member? ×

String Care

Norris

A nice tip for making dead strings come back to life – no taking them off and boiling them!

Loosen them so they’re quite flappy without actually dangling.
Give them several tugs, the way you would when fitting new ones.
Re-tighten to normal tuning.

Some of that sounds fnarr fnarr but, believe me, it works.

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1430256090' post='2759656']
A nice tip for making dead strings come back to life – no taking them off and boiling them!

Loosen them so they’re quite flappy without actually dangling.
Give them several tugs, the way you would when fitting new ones.
Re-tighten to normal tuning.

Some of that sounds fnarr fnarr but, believe me, it works.
[/quote]

Yep this can extend string life and bring back a bit of thr brightness. MarloweDK does it in a video, I tried it on an old Jim Deacon bass which hadn't had new strings in over ten years. The amount of crud that came off them was disgusting, but yes, it really did breathe new life into the strings.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430236540' post='2759346']
Not claiming to be an expert in this by any means, but my experience is thus:

● never had strings go rusty
● my instrument lives in its case when not being played, never sits out.
● I don't wipe the strings down, because back in the day when I played guitar I found that doing so only left wee bits of fluff in the strings, which were a pain to remove.
● I find a set of strings lasts me about six months before showing signs of deadening.
● I use nickel strings
● The only prerequisite is that I always wash my hands before playing.
● from my experience, Ernie Ball stainless steel strings are just the worst, they go dead quickly, they have the most squeak and handling noise and unremarkable tone. I hate them. Others love them though, so fair play.
[/quote]

+1 with a few additions:[list]
[*]My basses do stay out at home - pick them up and play!
[*]I use Elixirs - coated strings and they last me longer but are more expensive in the first place
[*]Thoroughly agree with washing hands - and stay away from eating crisps, nuts, etc. all of that salt, oils on the strings don't do them any good.
[/list]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1430156657' post='2758493']
Rust should not be a problem after six months, although it could be due to the acid in your sweat. Perhaps you should consider putting a sachet of silica gel in your guitar case.

The only other thing you can do, besides wiping down the strings after each practice, is to wash your hands before playing.
[/quote]

Yep definitely this.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430243908' post='2759465']
Interesting. I loved the Dunlop SBs but I think I would prefer a little extra tension so I can dig in on the lower strings. The Foderas will no doubt be pricey, similar to DRs? I didn't even know Fodera made strings.
[/quote]
Hi Beams or Fat Beams sound up your street. Sunbeams I think won't have enough brightness for what you're looking for.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1430301108' post='2759934']

[*]Thoroughly agree with washing hands - and stay away from eating crisps, nuts, etc. all of that salt, oils on the strings don't do them any good.
[/list]
[/quote]

Ed Friedland (aka The Bass Whisperer) just reviewed the new DR Pure Blues and he talked about "The Fried Chicken test" :-D

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1430323106' post='2760310']
Ed Friedland (aka The Bass Whisperer) just reviewed the new DR Pure Blues and he talked about "The Fried Chicken test" :-D
[/quote]
That was Jaco' s trick, chicken fat. Must have been a bit smelly on stage?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1430220654' post='2759045']
Try a set of steel strings and see if you get better luck with them. I always recommend D'Addario Prosteels as a high-quality steel string at a reasonable price.
[/quote]
I've used the EBs for 20 years, but have just ordered a set of Prosteels from you to try. Decent price too :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1430563599' post='2762613']
I've used the EBs for 20 years, but have just ordered a set of Prosteels from you to try. Decent price too :)
[/quote]

That's awesome! I hope you're pleased with them. Your order is being sent out soon :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1430141301' post='2758313']
Short of wiping them down with a clean dry cloth after use, do any of you have suggestions for prolonging the life of your strings? I find that even being meticulous I start to get signs of rust after 6 months or so
[/quote]

6 months?

My strings get replaced more often :)

But even when i keep them longer, I don't ever recall them getting rusty.
I don't do anything particular to them. I do tend to have clean hands before playing, and I don't do anything to them afterwards. I may wipe the neck if it's warm and feels a bit sweaty etc... but don't really touch the strings.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1430675984' post='2763630']
6 months?

My strings get replaced more often :)

But even when i keep them longer, I don't ever recall them getting rusty.
I don't do anything particular to them. I do tend to have clean hands before playing, and I don't do anything to them afterwards. I may wipe the neck if it's warm and feels a bit sweaty etc... but don't really touch the strings.
[/quote]

There are a lot of factors to consider. I've never had strings go rusty either, but I have seen basses with rusty strings. From the limited number I've seen, I'd say that nickel coating was the lowest common denominator, although there's nothing to say that's the cause or even part of the problem. Maybe it's just a complete coincidence.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1430156657' post='2758493']
The only other thing you can do, besides wiping down the strings after each practice, is to wash your hands before playing.
[/quote]
The last (only) time I washed my hands before a gig, it softened all my callouses and they wore away in minutes. Even after breaking out the superglue my picking fingers still blistered agonisingly. So, never done it since.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1430739676' post='2764125']
The last (only) time I washed my hands before a gig, it softened all my callouses and they wore away in minutes. Even after breaking out the superglue my picking fingers still blistered agonisingly. So, never done it since.
[/quote]

I suppose everyone is different. I always wash my hands before playing, whether it is a practice session at home, in the rehearsal room, or before a gig. I have never had blisters. Perhaps you "dig in " too much, which would be more a cause of blisters than washing your hands ?

I actually play quite lightly, thanks in part to my ramp. And I use nice soft nickel strings too. The only time I have had a blistering problem is when I got my callouses wet and softened.