Why become a member? ×

SOLD PENDING PAYMENT. Custom 5 String Jazz bass. Spalt/Flame Maple.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Up for sale is my 5 String Jazz bass parts bass.

The Bass body is a Solid 2 Peice Spalt/flame maple body. Made by Basschats very own Chopthebass. Its a gorgeous Piece of wood. Really nicely shaped and not very heavy at all! I have installed a Twin Battery compartment which leads to the spacious control cavity.

Inside the Cavity is an expensive and Rare Schack three band Pre-amp (Note these are not made anymore) The pre-amp has three sets of mini switches on the circuit board for even more tonal range. These are the pre-amps that are put in high end Fodera basses. It is currently running on 18volts however the pre-amp is also designed to handle up to 24volts if you so wished.

-Bass (100-300Hz via dip switches) ±15dB

-Middle (500-1500Hz via dip switches) ±15dB

-Treble (2000-8000Hz via dip switches) ±18dB

-Adjustable pickup input gain

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/schackelecy.html"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/schackelecy.html[/url]

The pickups are some nice Bartolini Jazz bass pups. They have a very piano like tone. Roll the bridge off and it sounds like a hot Jaco bass. Add the neck and you have a thundering sound.

Also installed is an Active/Passive Switch AND a Kill Switch. The controls are as follows. Balance, Volume, Bass, Mid, Treble.

The Control plate is a strat style plate which is securely mounted on the back of the control plate. It is angled so that you can easily thread the lead through your strap pins without stretching your cable unneccesarily.

Currently The Balance pot is just a normal Linear pot, This means that there are only three positions Bridge solo, Neck solo and both pickups full on. This can be replaced with a Proper Balance pot (About 3 quid) to acheive full balance controls. The control knobs also need a bit of a clean and i am missing a matching one (I have placed a mismatched one on in the pictures to show what the bass could look like.)

The neck is a high quality Mighty Mite 5 string P bass neck, Maple with rosewood board. 4/1 headstock (This style of headstock is no longer made by MightyMite). The original truss rod was not man enough for the job and had the 4mm rod taken out and a 6mm rod inserted and is far far better. The frets have been filed and dressed. The neck is straight and true.

Connecting the neck is counter sunk neck bolts. And the heel is contoured for extra comfort.

The bridge is a high quality/mass Schaller 5 string bass bridge. And Schaller lightweight tuners. All in stunning black. The string tree is also black :) and of high quality. Dunlop Straplocks have also been installed.

The bass comes with a quality Kinsman Hardcase. I will also through in a nice leatherette strap with the dunlop pins installed.

And the pictures.

Its taken me a long time and heartache to get this bass sorted out. It took forever to setup but now is perfect to play. Apart from mismatched control pots and the balance pot it is brilliant. The pre-amp/pickup combo is top notch. I received the parts in a part ex and I have spent £245 overall on repairs/setup and installation. This is a Fantastic bass, Built from premium parts and with a low action. Not a mark on her, Has not been played for more then a few hours. As such there is no wear to this bass. The bass was assembled by Tom Waghorn of Waghorn guitars in Bristol.

[url="http://www.waghornguitars.co.uk"]http://www.waghornguitars.co.uk[/url]

I would recommend this bass for any Funk/Rockstars. The slap tones to die for!

I would like £600 Collected + 20 quid with postage, I am willing to haggle. Trades welcome I am interested in most things pm me with any offers.

Anyone who lives close to Bristol is welcome to try it out at any time.

Cheers guys.

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

wow this is a suprise!! bloody fantastic bass, had a little jam with it a short while ago, now its all setup it plays and sounds fantastic! i think id buy it for that nifty input jack location alone :huh: cant beat black hardware on a body and neck like that, beautiful. Waghorn are top quality too so expect the best :) considering how much time and effort has been spent on this that is a great price

[quote name='BassManKev' post='267347' date='Aug 21 2008, 08:36 PM']wow this is a suprise!! bloody fantastic bass, had a little jam with it a short while ago, now its all setup it plays and sounds fantastic! i think id buy it for that nifty input jack location alone :huh: cant beat black hardware on a body and neck like that, beautiful. Waghorn are top quality too so expect the best :) considering how much time and effort has been spent on this that is a great price[/quote]

Thanks dude.

Alot of people have been wondering why i am selling up. Well I spent a long time on this project, Now its 99% finished i just dont have the energy to get the balance pot installed or matching knobs. Its a nice player but because of the amount of work i have put into it, I just feel a bit sick of seeing it! Its a genuinely nice player, I just wont be able to get the satisfaction out of it that another person would (Like Kev but bless his cotton socks he doesant have the money!)

As for ideal trades. I would love Musicmans, 5 strings, 4 strings, Sterlings, Bongos, Possibly fretlesses. Or any other possible 5 string, I can take part Ex both ways as well for the right bass.

Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Rich' post='267848' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:51 PM']Don't suppose you'd fancy a PX with a Status S1 deluxe 5-string..?[/quote]
Pmed.

[quote name='BassJase' post='267873' date='Aug 22 2008, 02:25 PM']Good luck with this one Rob, if i weren't so damn skint i'd love this beauty.[/quote]

Cheers dude! :)

I knew it…...I knew I’d see this here before long! What’s the longest you’ve ever kept a bass, Shockwave?
As the original progenitor of this beastie (before other projects took over – after acquiring an OLP3 to “learn” on whilst I was building this I soon realised I would remain forever faithful to 4) I can confirm that short of putting a graphite neck on this you’d be hard pressed to find better components or a nicer body than this anywhere at any price. Also, apart from the small stuff (from Allparts), all sourced from BC members! The angled ouput jack on the rear plate was inspired by a Listerud I once had, and is a brilliantly simple and ergonomic system.
Rob and his luthier have made a fantastic job of completing, and someone’s going to have an absolutely unique top-end bass for bargain money, so BUMP :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='267908' date='Aug 22 2008, 03:15 PM']I knew it…...I knew I’d see this here before long! What’s the longest you’ve ever kept a bass, Shockwave?
As the original progenitor of this beastie (before other projects took over – after acquiring an OLP3 to “learn” on whilst I was building this I soon realised I would remain forever faithful to 4) I can confirm that short of putting a graphite neck on this you’d be hard pressed to find better components or a nicer body than this anywhere at any price. Also, apart from the small stuff (from Allparts), all sourced from BC members! The angled ouput jack on the rear plate was inspired by a Listerud I once had, and is a brilliantly simple and ergonomic system.
Rob and his luthier have made a fantastic job of completing, and someone’s going to have an absolutely unique top-end bass for bargain money, so BUMP :)[/quote]

The longest i have kept a bass is a Yamaha 6 string john myung bass, and a Tokai P bass, Closely followed the Eagle now in your possesion :huh:

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='267950' date='Aug 22 2008, 04:17 PM']you're nuts to be selling this... especially after putting so much into it... if you sell it, then it's a sure bet that a few months down the line you'll be regretting it and wanting to buy it back...[/quote]

Hehe, I feel like that quite often, Which is the buyers advantage.

However i dont see much use for the Jazz 5 in my current band, I buy basses for use in the current bands i am in. This Would have been good for the funk band i was in, However since that nest has fled my gothy rock band probably wont be too appreciative of it!

Seriously guys stop putting me off from selling it :) Doesant work! hehe.

Edited by Shockwave

Don't know whether this will come over correctly, but I think this is the first time I've ever seen an Fender-style headstock without a logo on it that looks so nice. Does this make sense? Without a [Fender] logo it generally looks like something is missing.

The black hardware is yummy. Nice bass.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='270232' date='Aug 26 2008, 01:27 PM']Don't know whether this will come over correctly, but I think this is the first time I've ever seen an Fender-style headstock without a logo on it that looks so nice. Does this make sense? Without a [Fender] logo it generally looks like something is missing.

The black hardware is yummy. Nice bass.
P[/quote]

I know what you mean, I think maybe a logo on the truss rod cover would be quite nice. If it was on the bare wood i think the headstock would look a little crowded.

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

Very Unhappy, The basschatter has pulled out even after promising verbally that it would happen. I gave plenty of time for him to make up his mind and still said he wanted it. However has now pulled out. So i have now lost 3 weeks of advertising and feeling like a bit of a douche for trusting that a deal would happen before the cash or bass being handed over.

I wont say who the guy is as i am a reasonable man.

Anyway. This bass is back up for sale and trade. Open to offers. I am willing to haggle.

Looking for, 4/5 string P basses, 5 String J basses (Black only) ,G&L L1000' or similar, Fretted or fretlesses. Musicmans. if i get offered something worth more then this jazz i will glady put money towards striking a deal.

Edited by Shockwave

f*** man that sucks, aresehole, i think for someone to ask someone else to hold a bass for that long, some sort of non refundable deposit should have to be made, as situations like this just suck

good luck with it man, as iv said its a cracking bass.

a 5 string standard FENDER jazz bass has just sold on this forum for £600! and if it was anything like other 5 string fender jazz's iv tried, this bass blows them away, quality, playability and sound. buy it. now.

Edited by BassManKev