Why become a member? ×

Best DIY build-a-bass kit?

solo4652

A friend of mine has asked me to recommend a good bass-building kit. He has access to a full school craft workshop and wants to take advantage of the facilities to build his own bass. He has a budget of up to £200. He doesn't play any musical instruments - I think it's the build process rather than the sound of the end product that's attracting him. Any suggestions I can pass on, please?

A friend of mine has brought a couple of twin neck guitar / bass kits, they actually play reasonably well, he came to me to wire them up.....total nightmare...ended up with both necks on at the same time or off at the same time...I couldn't get my head round 3 selector switches in the system!

One option for guitar/bass building is to buy a secondhand bolt-on instrument with a servicable neck, and then scratch build a new body reusing the neck and hardware from the donor bass. Slightly more involved and interesting as a process than assembling an instrument from a kit where everything is pre-routed, but has the advantage that you have total control over the neck pocket fit, relationship of neck/bridge/strap buttons and can choose any pickup/control/scratchplate scheme that interests you if you want to experiment.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1429731650' post='2754453']
Thomann do a home brand p bass and jazz bass kit for £70
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bassguitar_kit_pstyle.htm"]http://www.thomann.d..._kit_pstyle.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting that the J version has a P width nut. Gaskit attack!

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1429780785' post='2754800']
Same neck maybe. Shame - that would put me off.
[/quote]
Looks like it, one size fits all, carve your own head.
I suspect the neck pocket is to Fender dimensions.
HB's short scale (30") P bass has a wide neck so is more like P than J. Not sure why, shorties are usually narrow.