Why become a member? ×

PANGBORN!!!!

marcus bell

They both really 'borrowed' from Alembic... But seeing as there are 100's of bases 'borrowing' from Fender etc. then I don't thing we have any problems with variations on themes!!

I love Pangborns... Wish I had one. The graphite neck ones are very desirable!

Hey I didn't know that one had a graphite neck, lovely. I played Nick (dr of the bass)' s graphite Pangborn at the bash and it was right up my street. Do you have anything recorded with yours? What is its history, did they make it for you? Are they still in business? Ashley isn't it?

ped

Do'h I didn't see that, thanks for the link and the extra info. I would love to see him back in action. I wonder how the graphite worked out cheaper, I presume he had all his own equipment for making them which would cost a lot in the first place but cheaper thereafter? No doubt I will find out more in that link.

Cheers
ped

Hallo!

I've got four Pangs - two Warlord's, a Warrior and a Cheiftain.

I did actually have a contact number for Ashley and actually spoke to him on the phone around 10 years ago - Ian Middleton and I set up a tribute website for the basses and I mentioned this to Ashley and he was very concerned by this as he thought we were trying to make money out of him!!!! I mentioned that the site was not in any way shape or form a money making venture and was simply a place to look at pictures and find out more about the range, a kind of resource page in actual fact. He calmed down a bit and then became quite touched that we'd done this! I no longer have his number but I'm sure contacting Gibson might be an idea. There was a rumour some time ago that he was going to resurrect Pangborn but as yet, I've not heard anything else! Be great if he did - they really are special basses!

Here's some piccies! Wooden Warlord amongst some friends!

A formal pose...

Pix by Ian Middleton, the former owner of my bass...

Allegedly, Ashley would spend a `large amount of time' looking at the basses on JayDee's stand at various guitar shows in the early '80s - I have this on very good authority! They are indeed similar and Ashley's control layout on the Warlord basses is the same as the standard JD layout, with pickup selector, master volume, passive treble, active on/off mini toggle and 3 band active EQ! Ony difference is the position of the master vol and passive treble knobs! Check out the pic of the Pang next to the green JayDee bass!

Nick

Here's some more pix!

My paduak faced `Warlord' which was similar to the `Livin' It Up' bass, already mentioned! Swapped this actual bass for one of the famous red `FPPR' Status 2000's and a pink JayDee GA24...this Pang was modded by John Diggins ! and is now owned by Lou Short from Kettering:

My graphite necked Warlord - crap pic - sorry! This is the one Ped and Crazykiwi like!

Kingy (looking like Klaus Kinski) in the gravel pit....`livin' it aappp!' Taken from a Superwound strings advert:

The man himself, 1983

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='267592' date='Aug 22 2008, 03:00 AM']I did actually have a contact number for Ashley and actually spoke to him on the phone around 10 years ago - Ian Middleton and I set up a tribute website for the basses and I mentioned this to Ashley and he was very concerned by this as he thought we were trying to make money out of him!!!! I mentioned that the site was not in any way shape or form a money making venture and was simply a place to look at pictures and find out more about the range, a kind of resource page in actual fact. He calmed down a bit and then became quite touched that we'd done this! I no longer have his number but I'm sure contacting Gibson might be an idea. There was a rumour some time ago that he was going to resurrect Pangborn but as yet, I've not heard anything else! Be great if he did - they really are special basses![/quote]

I heard back from Gibson today re: Ashley. Apparently there is noone by the name of Ashley Pangborn working for them at the moment. However they did offer to ask around and see if anyone knew of him and has some contact details.

• 9 months later...

Cheers Nick !

Great to hear from you after all these years!
Ian

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='523930' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:41 PM']I know!

Welcome to Basschat, Ian Midi! The father of the Pangborn site!

Have sent ye a message sir!

Cheers

Nick[/quote]