Why become a member? ×

Retrofitting a piezo bridge/pickup.

chaypup

I'm getting a status fretless neck for my Stingray 5 and I've started thinking about getting a piezo pickup too. Anyone here done this before?

I know it would be easier to get a bass with it already fitted but I like the colour mine is! (Pearl purple)

There are bridges available that have piezo elements built in. They look fairly presentable. I have not fitted mine yet so can not comment on tone. The well known internet auction site would be my first port of call - in the £30 range. Schaller 3D4P looks nice if you want something upmarket.

Hipshot/Graphtech bridges with built-in piezo saddles are very good indeed (have one on my ACG fretless)
[url="http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pn-8370-b5-ghost-loaded-hipshot-a-style-bass-bridge---black-5-string"]http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pn-8370-b5-ghost-loaded-hipshot-a-style-bass-bridge---black-5-string[/url]

I have fitted many of the Graphtech piezo/Hipshot bridges, and I would say if it isn't a fretless I generally find the piezo unhelpful at best and sometimes downright speaker-threatening at worst. Don't bother on a fretted.

I like the sound of a good piezo, but the subharmonic thumps you can generate can be very harmful to speakers. And they sound much 'politer' than magnetic pickups, as they are indeed full range.

In general, if it isn't already installed, I wouldn't spend the money and effort. I'd look for a bass with it already installed.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I have spent plenty of time and money here with some disappointment, even with the very nice Graphtech systems.

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1428213219' post='2739101']
My apologies, missed it was for a fretless.

I'd use a Graphtech/Hipshot system, and make sure you have a high pass filter somewhere in your signal chain.
[/quote]

Low pass filter should also be on the agenda to block 'clicky - clacky' high frequencies Cabinet choice can also make a significant difference - my full range cabinet (15" 6" horn) reveals all the evils with my piezo fitted acoustic bass.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1428179781' post='2738944']
I have fitted many of the Graphtech piezo/Hipshot bridges, and I would say if it isn't a fretless I generally find the piezo unhelpful at best and sometimes downright speaker-threatening at worst. Don't bother on a fretted.

I like the sound of a good piezo, but the subharmonic thumps you can generate can be very harmful to speakers. And they sound much 'politer' than magnetic pickups, as they are indeed full range.

In general, if it isn't already installed, I wouldn't spend the money and effort. I'd look for a bass with it already installed.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I have spent plenty of time and money here with some disappointment, even with the very nice Graphtech systems.
[/quote]

Did you use the Acousti-Phonic preamp? I'm curious how it compares to the Fishman Powerchip?

"Did you use the Acousti-Phonic preamp? I'm curious how it compares to the Fishman Powerchip?"

Sorry to butt in on a question to someone else. I've tried the Acoustiphonic preamp but found it coloured the piezo sound too much for my liking. In standard mode there's a built-in boost to bass and treble which gives it a very low-end-heavy scooped sound. There's also an alternative mid-boost setting which to me was a bit too strong on the mids and lost some of the full range characteristics. After experimenting with a Schaller piezo preamp I ended up using an East MPB-01 buffer which is completely transparent and just optimises the full range response of the piezo. I then run it through an East 3-band with variable mid to fine tune the voicing as and when needed. I've not used the Fishman Powerchip but that was also on my shortlist. The East buffer just offered a bit more flexibility for my piezo/mag configuration. Be interested to hear any views on the Powerchip.

Just to add 2p worth. I have found piezos very disappointing on fretted basses until I got hold of a Bolin NS bass. The sound was everything I had always hoped for and more. It was a Fishman system (pickup and preamp) which sadly Fishman only sold OEM. I am not sure what the processing in the preamp was as far as fixed High Pass Filtering was, I presume it was in there. The real joy about it was how it fitted in with acoustic instruments in a way that Magnetic pickups (for me, YMMV) never have.

I have a set of Graphtec saddles to go onto a bridge soon and am just getting my head around the preamp situation. What was nice about the Fishman/Bolin thing was that each string had an adjustable vol on trim pots inside. EMG used to make such a beast but I cannot find it anymore. I have looked at the East stuff and I guess that is the way I will go.

I understand that the OP is going fretless, but I thought I would chime in about fretted not being all bad given the correct set up and how it works superbly with acoustic instruments.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1428167967' post='2738767']
Hipshot/Graphtech bridges with built-in piezo saddles are very good indeed (have one on my ACG fretless)
[url="http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-detail/pn-8370-b5-ghost-loaded-hipshot-a-style-bass-bridge---black-5-string"]http://www.graphtech...-black-5-string[/url]
[/quote]

I'm thinking of getting a fretless from ACG , can you tell me how much yours was please ( provate message if too expensive!! )

I think I need a piezo after hearing percy jones with his ibanez with one!!