Why become a member? ×

Buying From somenone new to the Forum

PauBass

Not sure this is the right section for this post but here is what I'm talking about:

I'm thinking of buying from someone new to the forum, joined the community just a few days ago and, obviously, with no feedback.

Collection and payment in person is not possible at all and, since we are talking big money here, I'm not sure about sending the money just like that.
It's not about not trusting or doubting the other party at all, is more like I've always dealt with regular forum members and usually with really good feedback so that is a kind of guarantee you've got but never dealt with unknown people.

Hope my explanation makes sense.

What do you guys think is the best way to get around this situation?

:)

Edited by PauBass

Is there any chance you could both send the money/bass to a respected member and pay a bit extra for him/her to send it on once both are recieved? If you can find someone willing im sure that would work!

Have you spoken to this guy on the phone? If im nervous about a deal i find thats the way forward.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='265378' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:19 PM']Is there any chance you could both send the money/bass to a respected member and pay a bit extra for him/her to send it on once both are recieved? If you can find someone willing im sure that would work!

Have you spoken to this guy on the phone? If im nervous about a deal i find thats the way forward.[/quote]

Thanks for the idea!

Yes, talking on the phone always helps but we are talking about humdreds of £'s... and need some advice here.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='265378' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:19 PM']Is there any chance you could both send the money/bass to a respected member and pay a bit extra for him/her to send it on once both are recieved? If you can find someone willing im sure that would work!

Have you spoken to this guy on the phone? If im nervous about a deal i find thats the way forward.[/quote]

Thats a good plan. Find a mediator.

[quote name='coasterbass' post='265387' date='Aug 19 2008, 12:25 PM']Thats a good plan. Find a mediator.[/quote]

where are your respective locations?

I could be able to act as a mediator/escrow as I'm the Goods Inwards guy at work and thus would be able to recieve and send packages easily (unless it arrived at the weekend!)

hit me up if you want any help with it!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='265480' date='Aug 19 2008, 01:34 PM']where are your respective locations?

I could be able to act as a mediator/escrow as I'm the Goods Inwards guy at work and thus would be able to recieve and send packages easily (unless it arrived at the weekend!)

hit me up if you want any help with it![/quote]

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='265600' date='Aug 19 2008, 03:48 PM']If I may say so, its understandable and wise to be just a bit wary in a situation like this.

I'm based up near Newcastle if the noobie is from my neck of the woods I've no objection to giving you a hand at sorting this out.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your help guys, you are very kind.

Seller is based in Glasgow and I'm down in Brighton & Hove.

[quote name='PauBass' post='265633' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:23 PM']Thanks a lot for your help guys, you are very kind.

Seller is based in Glasgow and I'm down in Brighton & Hove.[/quote]

defo a bit far for a collection! lol!

actually, does Brighton Airport goto Glasgow..? I've no idea if it'll be a viable option, but could be included in a short break mebby?

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='265645' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:32 PM']Don't bother. I don't risk anything if my gut tells me otherwise.

Alternatively, have him put it on eBay. If he is serious then the fee's wont be a big problem and you will get the in built protection paypal has to offer.

Garry[/quote]

actually that's a crackin idea! Doesn't paypal offer some protection/recourse if it all goes wrong even without the Ebay association?

When I pay BCers, it's invariably via paypal, and it seems to suit eveyone!

*spelling edit*

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='PauBass' post='265679' date='Aug 19 2008, 04:58 PM']:)

Thanks guys for all your advice.

Anyone knows for sure if you are protected with Paypal even if it's not through Ebay?

Flying and collection in person is not possible because of time and flight prices.[/quote]

You are covered by PayPal but the type of account held by the recipient and/or the length of time he has had the account determines the value of cover! £150/£500 etc.

Are there no long standing BCers in the Glassgee area?

[quote name='Galilee' post='265684' date='Aug 19 2008, 05:04 PM']Are you sure it's not just better to wait to see if another of whatever it is turns up closer to home?[/quote]

If he's buying what I think he's buying, I don't think that's very likely. If you don't want to miss out on it, I like the 'middle man' idea. If the seller is OK, he should be OK with that.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='265690' date='Aug 19 2008, 05:15 PM']I still think a trusted mediator is the way forward, you cant lose! If it all goes tits up mediator just sends your money back![/quote]

If the seller is new though, they're not going to find a mutually-trusted mediator are they?

[quote name='Galilee' post='265698' date='Aug 19 2008, 05:18 PM']If the seller is new though, they're not going to find a mutually-trusted mediator are they?[/quote]

I can happily recommend 5 members off this forum that could be trusted. If the seller has any sense then he should be able to see that trusting a long standing member of this forum to act as a middleman is as honest a way forward as trusting a complete stranger to send you money... yes?

<edit>

The figure of 5 was plucked out of the air... I can seriously say there would be more than that

One thing to consider is would someone want the aggro?

Edited by warwickhunt

This reminds me that one of my first ever eBay transactions was a several hundred quid Ric from someoone I didn't know from Adam. As it turned out he was totally kosher and back then there were fewer scams around but it does make me sweat a bit to think how I would have handled it if the auction had gone pear shaped.

I think the eBay idea sounds good - stick it on with a BIN and a bizarre description that no one else could find (so that no one else beats you to the item!!) and then you've got a decent amount of protection.

Alternatively, is there a Glasgow music shop who could act as middleman on the offchance the seller isn't comfortable with a BCer in that capacity? OK, they might want a small cut but it would be safe for both parties and worth a few quid to be safe.

[i]<edited for spelling>[/i]

Edited by stevebasshead

Hi there guys!

Just to let you know, i am the seller of the bass Paubass is looking at. Thanks for all the ideas ect on the best way of completing the transaction. There is alot at stake for both partys.

I quite like the idea of an elected forum member (trusted/moderator ect) where i would take the bass to them (anywhere around glasgow - edinburgh), when in there presence the full amount would be transfered to my account, once there.....the bass is left with the member for pickup/postage to be arranged. I would even sling something to the member as thanks for there time taken to help with the transaction.

Ebay is another good idea.....but im sure the charge for me to list a item of this amount would be about £60/80 which i cant justify.

Paubass has excellent rating and feedback on the forum, and i dont for see there being a problem as he seems like a very friendly guy....but care needs to be taken by everybody in this situation. Me being new here doesnt help, but everyone needs to start somewhere.

Thanks again guys for your help!

Chris!

[quote name='crookysax' post='265743' date='Aug 19 2008, 06:02 PM']Hi there guys!

Just to let you know, i am the seller of the bass Paubass is looking at. Thanks for all the ideas ect on the best way of completing the transaction. There is alot at stake for both partys.

I quite like the idea of an elected forum member (trusted/moderator ect) where i would take the bass to them (anywhere around glasgow - edinburgh), when in there presence the full amount would be transfered to my account, once there.....the bass is left with the member for pickup/postage to be arranged. I would even sling something to the member as thanks for there time taken to help with the transaction.

Ebay is another good idea.....but im sure the charge for me to list a item of this amount would be about £60/80 which i cant justify.

Paubass has excellent rating and feedback on the forum, and i dont for see there being a problem as he seems like a very friendly guy....but care needs to be taken by everybody in this situation. Me being new here doesnt help, but everyone needs to start somewhere.

Thanks again guys for your help!

Chris![/quote]

Always a good sign ^