Why become a member? ×

Block markers and fretless bass.

alembic1989

hi to all.
Simple question.
Can basses with necks that have block markers...(like a jazz), be defretted to make a good fretless, or will the block inlays scupper the idea?
I've just pulled the trigger on a Sire Marcus Miller...and was considering buying another one to convert to a fretless.

Purists (notably) Alembic say it changes the tone, which it probably does when you think about it, but that said, I've seen it done many times... Just be careful with the fingerboard wood though, darker woods work well but I'd say my maple fretless conversion was a fail... (Only every seen Sting with such a beast as me but he seemed to make work ok).

A friend of mine had a late 60's fretless jazz with block inlays, converted to P/J.
He gigged it for over 15 years with no epoxy and no problems.
He played it through a vintage Fender Bassman valve head and 2x15 cab.
It is still THE most sexiest sounding bass I have ever heard. He's a really tasty player too though.
Go for it.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1428173910' post='2738857']
A friend of mine had a late 60's fretless jazz with block inlays, converted to P/J.
He gigged it for over 15 years with no epoxy and no problems.
He played it through a vintage Fender Bassman valve head and 2x15 cab.
It is still THE most sexiest sounding bass I have ever heard. He's a really tasty player too though.
Go for it.
[/quote]

Sounds like the way to go then. Thanks for that..I believe I am suitably reassured.
I'm particularly pleased that it stayed good even tough it was gigged regularly AND without being epoxied.