Why become a member? ×

Slipping Standards

FuNkShUi

If you play too far but you'd have to be oblivious to do that.
I don't like 'rushers' and I always want to play with a drummer
who can lay back, by choice but I think my skill is to make
most...most, drummers sound good. There are some that
you just can't help.. but then I wouldn't book them and if
someone else does, that is down to them. One of us isn't
going to do the next one tho... :lol:

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1428147003' post='2738466']
Is music an olympic sport?

I'm very much of the mind that if the most important requirement were to perfectly reproduce a piece of music then it would have been better just to use a CD instead of having a band. It's often the small variations, changes, even 'mistakes' that make hearing a live band pleasureable and worth the time. While there are a small number of people (outside the bass community) for whom perfection is a basic requirement, they are a tiny minority.
[/quote]

I agree.

Music is an art form not a science.

I want to hear music breathe and have it's own energy. I gave up critiquing either my own band or any band I was listening too. It was just sucking the enjoyment out and not productive at all.

Apart from note perfect sterile soulless function bands. I don't want to pay big money to listen to that.

The audience enjoy it. Work out why they enjoyed it, why you enjoyed it and why listening back has made you now not enjoy it.

Take a photograph of something and show it to a friend who wasn't there. They're only ever going to see what's in the frame and from that one angle.

OR more pertinently, 'friends' or 'fans' put up a phone video...so you have no control over it.
Fortunately, there is only one horror story I am aware of... but the rest I'll still not be that pleased
about just in terms of an amateur production more than the band itself.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428647532' post='2743313']
OR more pertinently, 'friends' or 'fans' put up a phone video...so you have no control over it.
Fortunately, there is only one horror story I am aware of... but the rest I'll still not be that pleased
about just in terms of an amateur production more than the band itself.
[/quote]

Yeh we had someone ask for a video of us playing, as a way of seeing if we were suitable for their wedding.
Before we had a chance to respond to them personally (they had made the request on our facebook page) , a friend posted a video they had taken of us, on what must have been a potato it was so bad!
I appreciate that they were trying to help, but they really didn't!
On another note, we had a practice again last night, and were sounding much better IMO. Happy days.

Understand your pain... but then again, in some ways, it is what it is..and it is out there.
I tend to refer them to our website which links into Video but by then, I've done most of the footwork
on the phone or by talking to them anyway. Also, we aren't positioning ourselves as a function type
outfit so I always ask have they seen us. If they haven't and they don't know us at all..it is a long way
from there to us wanting and getting the gig. Basically, we work on referrals..but some of those referrals
are of friends of a friend.
I've got rehearsal audio that I can dropbox and we have nice PR type stuff to refer them to, but the other
thing is, we give them a price and tell them why we are more expensive than they may have thought...
And you have to let some gigs go.... if they want to pay £500-600, then I tell them to get a pub band
as most would be over the moon at that. It is all about, IMO, separating yourself from perceived competition.

My current mission is that I have a new project and they ( the band members) have given me a min price to work
for...so I am having to sell that on a vague promise or my track record.. At this stage, we've had no rehearsal,
no band name, and I haven't even met two of the players... It is not easy, I can tell you. :lol: :lol: