Why become a member? ×

Just won this off the bay (and not a happy bunny!)

kevbass

[quote name='kevbass' post='272680' date='Aug 29 2008, 04:34 PM']Yeah I used paypal. Unsupprisingly when I got in contact with the seller through ebay it all went quiet, so Ive opened up a paypal dispute under the "misdescription" category. If he doesnt respond by monday morning Im going to escalate it to a claim.[/quote]

Your doing the right thing but you do have to be aware that when PayPal find in your favour (which I'm certain they will) they will refund you after you have returned the bass and not before. So you are going to be out of pocket to the tune of the carriage fees, unless the seller contacts you and you can get the pup off him (if he ever had it) and/or a discount on the price. If you do return the bass you need to ensure that you have and retain proof.

This has all be learned the hard way by me, so be warned the seller will be miffed (even though it is his fault) and will likely as not try and get the upper hand in this.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='273000' date='Aug 30 2008, 08:39 AM']This has all be learned the hard way by me, so be warned the seller will be miffed (even though it is his fault) and will likely as not try and get the upper hand in this.[/quote]

If the seller escalates the claim you won't get a chance to respond to his statement. I hope you went into plenty of detail when you opened up the dispute. As Warwickhunt said, you learn the hard way.

[quote name='stevie' post='273182' date='Aug 30 2008, 02:19 PM']If the seller escalates the claim you won't get a chance to respond to his statement. I hope you went into plenty of detail when you opened up the dispute. As Warwickhunt said, you learn the hard way.[/quote]

Lost patience and decided to escalate it myself, he wasnt going to respond so I figured why wait? I went in to plenty of detail when I did escalate it, and I have asked for my refund including the money I paid on postage, so I'll probbably be left out of pocket to the tune of 20 quid when I post it back to him, but yes Ive learned the hard way on this one, what a w*nker though, to purposefully and blatantly lie in your auction description.

[quote name='BassMunkee' post='275346' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:23 PM']Not that I imagine it's overly helpful but I would never buy a bass off of ebay without going and checking it for myself first, and if I couldn't then I wouldn't.
Still, hope you get at least some of your expenditure back and chalk that up to experience...[/quote]

Sometimes this just isn't possible though, and when GAS takes over it's very tempting to press the BIN button!
I've been lucky with ebay and had what i consider to be 2 absolute bargains. On both occasions i spoke to the seller over a period of a few days and was entirely satisfied that i would not be disappointed when the bass arrived.

I reckon you've still got a mighty fine bass for a small outlay though, it could have been an absolute dog!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks the results are in and Paypal awarded me all my money back including the amount I payed on postage so atleast I have my money back. Oddly enough, the evening before I got my money back from paypal, the seller finally contacts me, explaining to me that he's sorry for the delay in contacting me, but its his Dads account he was selling through. He said that he "didnt realise" the bass didnt have a sterling pup in it (b*llocks if you ask me) as he got the bass off a mate of his and he just put it straight on the bay, and that he'd give me my money back as his Dads paypal account had been suspended as a result. His fault as a seller for not knowing (or so he claims) what he was selling, but I get the feeling he did know as the auction description stated "[b]I've[/b] had a sterling pup put in it at cost of 70 quid" It took him 2 weeks to respond to me.
I get the feeling had his Dads paypal account not been suspended I wouldnt of heard back from him. He's lucky Ive offered to post it back to him. I then recieve a message from him asking me to remove the negative feedback he has recieved on his Dads paypal account. Which I dont know if I can do, and even if I could, I wouldnt.

[quote name='kevbass' post='281374' date='Sep 10 2008, 08:17 PM']I get the feeling had his Dads paypal account not been suspended I wouldnt of heard back from him. He's lucky Ive offered to post it back to him. I then recieve a message from him asking me to remove the negative feedback he has recieved on his Dads paypal account. Which I dont know if I can do, and even if I could, I wouldnt.[/quote]

don't...

his dad's paypal account... that old excuse...

he knew what he was doing...

I agree, if the feedback reflects what happened, leave it!

Unusual for you to get a refund before even returning the item. Are you returning it at your cost or is the seller paying you for the carriage; it seems a bit much that you should get a full refund then have to pay to return the bass. You'd be out of pocket to the tune of the carriage fee.