Why become a member? ×

CuteCube² Guitar - Play-in System for String Instruments

low&

I've been following an interesting test on TB about a "play-in" device for basses. The OP just posted the test results after 14 days of treatment. Wicked! I might get me one of those puppies :)

All the test results can be heard right in the first post here:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/cutecube%C2%B2-guitar-play-in-system-for-string-instruments.1138570/"]http://www.talkbass....uments.1138570/[/url]

I had one of those, I left it turned on in my pocket by mistake, it had turned me into an old man by the end of the day.
Granted it made my Encore P play like a vintage American Fender but I can't lift the damn thing with my arthritis and the alzheimers means I forget how to play.

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1426807254' post='2722336']
I had one of those, I left it turned on in my pocket by mistake, it had turned me into an old man by the end of the day.
Granted it made my Encore P play like a vintage American Fender but I can't lift the damn thing with my arthritis and the alzheimers means I forget how to play.
[/quote]Damn, you didn't read the manual. There's a big warning right on the first page: "Never leave the CuteCube running in your pocket!" :o

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427136858' post='2726303']
Sounds similar to Yamaha's special vibration treatments to the BB2024/BB2025 line!
[/quote] Yeah, remember somebody telling about this. Just looked it up, Yamaha calls it "IRA"...lol

IRA (Initial Response Acceleration)
IRA is a special process that involves resonating the guitar at a certain frequency when it's finished being built, and it's strung and tuned. It actually has the same physical effect as years of gigging, playing. This corresponds to greater sustain, better high frequency response and, overall, just a more lively, open sound.

Never played on a BB2024/BB2025 at the store, does anybody have experience with this bass?

Edited by low&

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1427136858' post='2726303']
Sounds similar to Yamaha's special vibration treatments to the BB2024/BB2025 line!
[/quote]

I thought they did all that at the factory - before finishing and after joining, to de-stress the wood.
Somewhat plausible, but not really practically demonstrable.

With this gadget I can't see it doing a whole lot, with wood being pretty rigid once it's dried and set with glue and a sealed finish. With modern, fairly cheap wood kilning techniques, even a cheapish bass, with a decent piece of wood (not green or totally unsuitable due to the grain patterns and oddities) should work well.
I can see an acoustic instrument opening up when being broken in from new - I've heard the way strings break in from playing, and how speaker cones / drivers break in after a few hours at volume. But for an electric instrument, I don't see a plausible change between a vibrated one and a new one, save for wearing out components with metal fatigue if the vibration is very intense or the exposure time is very long.

My 2c. There are worse things, with much less evidence on the market, like special crystals that claim to magically cure disease.