Why become a member? ×

Spector Euro refin+mods

Paulhauser

I have decided to refinish my Spector Euro 5. Originally it had a matte see-through finish.
The maple quilt is quite nice on this and I thought a lighter finish would do some justice to it and I also wanted to experiment with some other ideas so I decided to have the bass refinished by a local luthier.

Things to notice:

- body and headstock got a gloss finish, but the neck is oil finish for playing comfort.
- electronics are the same TonePump that was before, but the controls are moved back to the control cavity cover.
- I'm using sliding pots for (top to bottom) vol, vol, treble, bass. The top of the sliders are just a tiny bit over the surface so they don't catch anything (and stay in place)
- the two round microswitch (hard to notice, they are recessed to the right of both vol sliders) are what used to be the push/pull pot for humbucker/single coil switch of the EMG TW pickups.

The reason for the controls mod is that I hardly ever touch the controls and like the clean look of the top of the bass this way. Time will tell if I'd ever miss the pots from the top.

And now the pics......

[attachment=186830:IMG_5392.jpg]

[attachment=186831:IMG_5393.jpg]

[attachment=186832:IMG_5394.jpg]

Edited by Paulhauser

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1426670144' post='2720432']
Love it, looks amazing, what a clever idea putting the controls on the back of the bass, great work :)

John
[/quote]

Big fan of the finish but doing that really was a good idea and makes a great looking bass even better looking!