Why become a member? ×

I still don't understand Pre-Amp pedals

Left Foot

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1428397521' post='2740791']
I've just got a DHA pre-amp/DI/EQ thing - I'm still messing about with it at home to find all the sounds it's capable of but so far so good! It's always hard to tell the full impact of something when you're just noodling at home so should be able to report back more after rehearsal tomorrow.

Anyone got any favorite settings for the DHA they want to share?
[/quote]

How 'bout this?

[attachment=188846:DHA.png]

That's how I run mine. My right hand technique is shockingly heavy though, so you might want to run the input and gain controls differently.

This is for my Jazz bass, by the way.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1428410046' post='2740988']
Well, I went for the Xotic BB bass preamp, its kinda like (just) a REALLY good pedal because it doesn't have a DI out, so yeah: tonally, these seem to be better pedals and effects, if I could make that assertion. I'm very impressed with it so far through the mini rig at home and a GK backline 600 at the rehearsal studio. this needs a DI though to be a true preamp IMHO and not just the king of bass overdrives.
[/quote]

The BB is more of an overdrive pedal as far as I'm concerned, it's basically a bass friendly tubescreamer. There's lots of similar sounding pedals out there that don't label themselves as preamps.

But then again, anything that can amplify your signal and provide some form of shaping is technically a preamp, so if we're calling the BB one then so are all overdrive pedals!

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1427969139' post='2736382']
A decent preamp can give you a bit more chunk and bit more presence and a bit more balls. I've found that the amp alone can sound a bit - background - and the preamp allows the bass to step forward in the mix and have a bit more identity and define its space a little better. My bandmates have noticed the difference and commented positively when I switched from a Behringer BDI preamp to the Hartke Bass Attack recently.
[/quote]

The Bass Attack will definitely give you more presence and balls. Adds a lot more weight to the sound, especially if you use the shape button and cut the high mids.

• 2 months later...

originally i got a sansamp programmable bass driver di to get a more valvey sound out of my solid state amp and also to have a more driven channel option. I used it for a while before deciding that i'ld much rather just have an amp that sounds exactly how i want it to. I find some sound engineers are a pain and wont mic my bass cab, i guess they dont understand the point of tone?!?! so i use my sansamp last in my effects chain and use it as a di. at least this way i get some tone shaping if i have to be di'd

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1427565779' post='2731813']
If you do half your gigs through house amps or direct through PA, then a preamp makes perfect sense. It means you use whatever amp basically as a power amp, and you use your pedal board for the tone shaping. Means that you'll sound moreor less the same at every gig (which for me is a good thing).
[/quote]

Same for me. Also my sound these says comes from a Tech 21 Leeds as I can't find an amp that does the same thing - apart from an actual Hiwatt but that's a bit beyond my means!