Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Octave pedal query.

jonnythenotes

Love the sound of my bass, but is there some way to boost the sound the higher up the G string you go. The only way I can sort of explain is comparing it to this smart four wheel drive stuff. The more grip you need,the more drive is applied to the wheel, or wheels that are slipping. It's not always there, just as and when required. Is there an octave pedal that does a similar thing, recognising that on the lower notes, there is plenty of volume there, so an octave 'below' boost is not required, but as you start moving up passed 4th and 5th fret on the G string it feeds more and more in the higher you go to maintain the volume level. Three examples of all the bottom end collapsing are All Right Now at the bass solo bit, Knock On Wood for part of the riff, and I Feel Good, again as part of the bass riff. I don't like these 3 , but they are the 3 that spring to mind. Any Octave pedals I have heard seem to be either on or off, with no graduation in terms of an 'as and when needed' basis,or have I missed something.

There's no octave pedal like that, as far as I know. It's an interesting idea!

I think what you're experiencing is a lack of balance across the strings and up the frets, so certain notes are louder than others. Your strings, pickup height, amp settings etc will all play a part in this

I have a friend who's EUB was quite quiet on the G string no matter what we did with it. We managed to get around it to an extent using a multi-band compressor, which applies different compression to different frequency bands. This might be the way to bodge a solution

Check your pickup hight and angle (if your bass allows that).

But thinking back to your question, would an octave pedal triggered by the sidechain of a compressor work? It's been a few years since uni, but I think that could work?

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1426001337' post='2713274']
Sounds more like a mid cut issue
[/quote]

This.

Boosting bass tends not to help the fundamentals of the higher notes. Try cutting bass (and increasing volume) or boosting mids.