Why become a member? ×

Reconditioned Fender Bass £2000

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fender-bass-guitar-/121591144382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4f659fbe"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c4f659fbe[/url]

I think a little bit more info would be needed before I parted with £2000! :huh:

I'm confused...wasn't the build quality of 70s Fenders so bad that some were virtually unplayable?? I recall photos of basses where the bridge alignment was so far off that the G strings were only just on the fretboard. When did they start to command these rediculous pricetags??

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1425927429' post='2712399']
Looks like a refin at least. Not sure, but it looks like the neck plate sits in a black gasket, like some copies. Did Fender ever do this in the '70s?
[/quote]

The black gasket has been present on all of the late 70's Fender basses I have owned, I am not sure they have ever commanded / demanded a £2k price tag unless they come attached to a second bass....even then postage would be prohibative due to the excess weight of two 1970's Fender's!

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1425905359' post='2711972']
Aha - it's got two tugbars on the top. Must be a special custom jobbie and hence the price.
[/quote]

I think there's just one, it's just got several extra screws holding the pickguard on.

Are the extra screws for the pup guard? How can he date it so accurately from the serial number? The nearest I can get to mine is 77 or 78, serial number S861577. And how come a "reconditioned" bass is worth more than an all original? I thought a refin devalues it?

Edited by 4-string-thing