Why become a member? ×

Accuracy vs showmanship

Sarah5string

I don't tend to move around too much, other than when you're naturally getting into it. Not really bothered about showmanship or image or "putting on a good show" I'm more interested in playing well, how we sound and whether we're tight or sloppy. If a band is cutting it on the night.....showmanship follows, whether you move or not.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='263083' date='Aug 15 2008, 02:13 PM']....When playing live... would you rather stand still and be more accurate (but less interesting to look at from the crowd) or be lively and energetic and a crowdpleaser but in turn sacrifice your accuracy?....[/quote]
One shouldn't necessarily cancel out the other. Having said that I generally make John Entwistle look animated but the rule should be to move how you feel and don't make mistakes.

When Im in the groove locked in tight with the drummer its generally eyes closed lookin cool. When funkin I engage with the punters and move arround generally to find that 'sweet spot' for my bass tone. I have been known to get a bit carried away but on the whole keep fluffs to a minimum. Punters rarely notice if you do screw up, you just make it look like you meant to do it and 'make art'.

You don't have to move around like a lunatic in order to engage and audience. It can, in fact, be wholly incongruent.

Where jazz is concerned, accuracy is more important because you are trying to form and execute ideas simultaneously, unlike most popular genres where all you are doing on gigs is reproducing well rehearsed set pieces. Yes, I accept you are being paid to entertain; that is why most bands with top names like Kylie or Take That are actually hidden from the audience. But, in jazz at least, it is the music that matters not the musicians! Engaging the audience doesn't require lighter fuel or a seizure....:)