Why become a member? ×

Calling all Fender aficionados! Do you think this Jazz is legit?

Minty

Hello! After many hours of searching Craigslist in America for a hidden gem, I have found this poorly listed item up for sale at $450. Listed simply as a blue Jazz bass, it doesn't offer up much detail...

So, it seems to be a sonic blue Jazz bass with matching headstock, block inlays & binding, in a Fender tweed case. The decal seems to be very similar to a 60's model, and the machine heads appear to be the long reverse tuners of yesteryear. To me it looks pretty damn close to a '66 Jazz, pictured here...

But now look at the area where the control plate is to supposed to meet up with the scratchplate. There's an unusually large gap, and to me the body shape to the right of the control plate doesn't look quite right either. The scratchplate also looks like it's missing the screw hole in the centre above the neck pickup.

So what is this thing?! A fairly accurate copy of a '66? The real deal with some shoddy replaced hardwear? Cheap knockoff? Something else? I'm interested in hearing your opinions!

Thanks!

Edited by Minty

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1424830345' post='2700996']
The pickguard looks a bit dodgy because of the big gap where it is meant to meet the control plate.
[/quote]
Pickguards on old Fenders [i][b]do[/b][/i] shrink... but that looks to be a pretty extreme example! Still, it's a lovely looking thing and definitely worth £300 or so :gas:

The gap between control plate and scratchplate is what I'm getting when I fit an American profiled guard to a Mexican body. Almost exactly like the picture. A Mexi guard is real difficult to get hold of for a reasonable price so I've ordered a control plate for a tenner that'll fit the guard. Really nice bass though. Bitsa or not.

Why not look through the basses for sale on this forum before paying £300 for a bass from the USA which is an unknown quantity in so many ways. All you have are a couple of photos. There could be so many issues with that bass that just aren't known before you get it in your hands. There could also be good reason why there is not much detail attached to the ad. Are you also prepared to pay the shipping costs from the states and then whatever duty is applied by customs on a bass that has question marks over it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1424857643' post='2701134']
Why not look through the basses for sale on this forum before paying £300 for a bass from the USA which is an unknown quantity in so many ways. All you have are a couple of photos. There could be so many issues with that bass that just aren't known before you get it in your hands. There could also be good reason why there is not much detail attached to the ad. Are you also prepared to pay the shipping costs from the states and then whatever duty is applied by customs on a bass that has question marks over it.
[/quote]

Uhh, I look at the For Sale page on here almost every day. I never said I'm getting the bass shipped over here from America, I would be picking it up myself because I spent fair bit of time over there...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1424850062' post='2701027']

Pickguards on old Fenders [i][b]do[/b][/i] shrink... but that looks to be a pretty extreme example! Still, it's a lovely looking thing and definitely worth £300 or so :gas:
[/quote]
A Fender pickguard that is that old and has shrunk that much probably wouldn't be such a brilliant white.

Edited by inate_hex

[quote name='stubass' timestamp='1424850659' post='2701033']
The gap between control plate and scratchplate is what I'm getting when I fit an American profiled guard to a Mexican body. Almost exactly like the picture. A Mexi guard is real difficult to get hold of for a reasonable price so I've ordered a control plate for a tenner that'll fit the guard. Really nice bass though. Bitsa or not.
[/quote]
cwgp2010 Is a seller on eBay in the Netherlands (custom world guitar parts). I bought a black pickguard from them for my MIM Jazz at a very reasonable price and it was an exact fit with no mods required.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1424857643' post='2701134']
There could be so many issues with that bass that just aren't known before you get it in your hands. There could also be good reason why there is not much detail attached to the ad. ...a bass that has question marks over it.
[/quote]True - but occasionally you get a seller that genuinely knows nothing about what they are trying to sell. The bass [b][i]looks[/i][/b] nice, but yes there could be all sorts of unseen problems. Still, one sometimes has to take a chance in life! :)

[quote name='Minty' timestamp='1424866258' post='2701298']
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Uhh, I look at the For Sale page on here almost every day. I never said I'm getting the bass shipped over here from America, I would be picking it up myself because I spent fair bit of time over there...
[/quote]

Fair enough! You can then assess the bass for yourself. Good luck whatever you decide to do. :)

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1424873883' post='2701429']

cwgp2010 Is a seller on eBay in the Netherlands (custom world guitar parts). I bought a black pickguard from them for my MIM Jazz at a very reasonable price and it was an exact fit with no mods required.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up mate :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1424887571' post='2701607']
Put your eyeballs back in their sockets and your tongue back in your mouth. That is [i]not[/i] a vintage Fender.
[/quote]

Not that I doubt you for one minute - but why do you say that?

The OP seemed to be asking if there was any chance that this bass could be a real 66 Fender. I think that is very unlikely.

The pick guard doesn't fit, the general finish is too good and the price is so wrong at £290 that that alone should confirm that it's not a vintage bass. The pick guard shrinking would put pressure on the screws and leave a split or 2. Usually the tip of the lower horn breaks off if serious shrinkage has occurred. All I see is a pick guard that is the wrong shape.

It might be a good bass but for that money I'd rather find one here that I could play first.

I'd ask for a lot more pictures before even considering this. Could easily be an aftermarket bass put together with parts that have never been near a Fender factory.

Something looks wrong with the case as well but I'm not exactly sure what without better pics. Should have som Fender logos either on the side or in the gap between the grab handle.

Have you asked the seller for more information like a serial number, close up of any decals, rear of headstock, neck pocket and nck plate etc.

All these will give you a clue as to provenance :)