Why become a member? ×

Paris Music/Bass Shops

phil_the_bassist

ok, Mrs PTB wants to go to Paris for a week with her friend for a wander round the clothes and fabric boutiques and to generally do the "Paris" thang.

They want me to go, but I'd rather break my fingers and stick hot pins in my eyes than spend 5 days getting dragged around by my better half. A few hours are fine, but it's NOT what I'd like to be doing with my holiday!

Anyone know any good bass/music shops in or near Paris where I can have a bit of a respite from the good ol' "yes you look lovely in that, Dear"?

I won't have a car, but I can negotiate Parisian pub.transport and perhaps go slightly further afield!

ideally, I'm hoping Vigier have a mahoosive warehouse where dumbass brits can go and noodle for hours on end with beautiful instruments of lowdown lovelyness within spitting distance of Le Champs-Elysées, but I've probably got more luck winning the lottery without actuallt buying a ticket...

I spent quite a bit of time in Paris last year and was surprised by the lack of impressive music shops. It's quite possible I missed some though - Paris is quite large after all.

There seem to be a few centred around the "Pigalle" district, which is neat as you can check out Le Moulin Rouge and numerous other seedy emporiums whilst you are there (at least the exteriors)! The Sacre Couer is just up the hill too, and is worth checking out for the views across Paris if nothing else. I must admit, I was underwhelmed by what I found music-shop wise, I was hoping to stumble across a Parisienne equivalent to The Bass Gallery, but failed miserably

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='262466' date='Aug 14 2008, 02:48 PM']Paris is great. Lived there for 10 yrs. Go to rue victor masse in pigalle. Loads of music shops and at least 3 bass only. Better selection than london.[/quote]

Bugger! How did I miss those?! :) :huh:

You might have to go clothes shopping - France isn't great for guitar shops. All the ones I've ever been into seem to have a load of copies and very little in the way of basses. No wonder their music's rubbish! :)

Can't you persuade her that New York's really cheap at the moment? That way you could bring a little something home for yourself at $2 to the £1.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='262499' date='Aug 14 2008, 03:37 PM']You might have to go clothes shopping - France isn't great for guitar shops. All the ones I've ever been into seem to have a load of copies and very little in the way of basses. No wonder their music's rubbish! :)

Can't you persuade her that New York's really cheap at the moment? That way you could bring a little something home for yourself at $2 to the £1.[/quote]

Tell me about it!

Unfortunately SWMBO doesn't do flying so the car and ferry are pretty much our mode of holiday transport.

I'd love to goto the US and pick-up-a-ric for next to nuthin, but the friend SWMBO's meeting have a flat in Paris...hence this excursion!

BUT judging on the hotel she wants me to book, it'll be cheaper for me to leave her to it, hire concorde outta retirement and goto N.Y. on my tod!

I wish I'd never told her my bloody credit limit! lol!

I found NYC pretty awful bass wise. Only a couple of shops and both were staffed by utter to$$ers.

Not sure the French will be any better ;0)

Patrice Vigier has his factory just south of Paris, maybe you could visit and take some pictures and earn a Basschat Badge!

ped

[quote name='ped' post='262537' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:22 PM']I found NYC pretty awful bass wise. Only a couple of shops and both were staffed by utter to$$ers.[/quote]
LA's the best - as long as you don't mind being called "dude" and "man" by the dudes, er, people who work in Guitar Center and the like.

[quote name='ped' post='262537' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:22 PM']Patrice Vigier has his factory just south of Paris, maybe you could visit and take some pictures and earn a Basschat Badge![/quote]

Where? WHERE? GODDAMMIT MAN, TELL ME WHERE!!!

I think Vigier's are funking STUNNING! Does the BC badge have the same associated advantages as the Blue Peter badge? :)

*edited for spelling*

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='262554' date='Aug 14 2008, 04:40 PM']Where? WHERE? GODDAMMIT MAN, TELL ME WHERE!!!

I think Vigier's are funking STUNNING! Does the BC badge have the same associated advantages as the Blue Peter badge? :)

*edited for spelling*[/quote]

Hi mate,

The address is 10-12 rue de l'abbé Grégoire, Z.A.C. des radars, 91350 Grigny. Probo best to call them on +33 (0)1.69.02.01.01 because I am not sure if they 'do' visits with the public.

You can find the place on Google maps and you can see the location - probo time to pop there and play a few basses in the time it will take Miss phil to try a pair of shoez!

ped

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='262873' date='Aug 15 2008, 01:42 AM']Is Morgan Rousell a member here!? I've been to his flat in Paris and that is the place to go if you want to see some serious bass guitars! Most of MK's basses live there...[/quote]

OOOOOHh! I'll happily buy him a bottle of plonk if he wants to show of his collection!

• 4 weeks later...

Pigalle has some cool shops, the most bass oriented is probably California basses, altough I have an impression they had relocated, not sure.

you're lucky your wife doesn't want to go shopping in Lisbon, then you'd really be toasted!!

"Good morning, I'd like to try a few basses, do you have any??"

" -Oh yes, we have these wonderful SQUIER and IBANEZ here..."

enter new store, repeat speech...