Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone custom ordered a Sandberg before?

fretmeister

I'm really pleased with my TM5 which I bought off-the-peg at Bass Direct but I quite fancy a 4 string to go with it.

I'm still playing with the configurator to decide exactly what I want, but it is likely to be a TT4, maybe even passive (although the active will run in passive mode... Mmmmm).

Then the main decision is whether to go for a lovely Tobacco-burst with a bit of relicing, or to go for a proper Larry Graham style bright white, gold hardware, maple board with while pearl inlays.

But - to anyone that has ordered one in their own spec - Who did you order from? How long did it take? Any downsides etc etc?

When i ordered my VM5 i contacted the authorised dealer over here in PT and he send me a Sandberg form to fill with my choices for the bass. I belive that at that time i was quoted with 6 or 8 weeks for it to be finished and it arrived exactly on date. I had to pay a deposit before ordering (50%) but this can be specific to each store. No downsides when you end up with the bass that you want ;)

BTW, i only moved mine on to get funds for the Ken Smith, if the new owner haven't resprayed the body from a beautifull tobacco burst to black i would be all over it again.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1424339491' post='2695211']
I ordered a VT5 (that's a PJ to you and me), fretted, sunburst, hard core aged. I specified my preferred weight and balance and they nailed that too. Order went as smooth as you like and was about 3 months to make IIRC.

[/quote]

Just to add, i also specified that i wanted a light bass because of back issues and they chose a very light body and neck for me. Great service ;)

I ordered my soft-aged Umbo last June through Bass Direct and received it 5[sub][sup]1/2 [/sup][/sub]months later. It seems to be about the usual time at the moment. Sandberg appear to be at the height of their quality at the moment. I now have 4 and all are excellent but the newest builds are the best IME.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1424337904' post='2695189']
But - to anyone that has ordered one in their own spec - Who did you order from? How long did it take? Any downsides etc etc?
[/quote]

I custom ordered a TM4 fretless from PMT Birmingham a few years ago - took 5 months (which is exactly what they told me). No downsides at all.

I've also just placed a custom order for a VM5 from Bass Direct - their website also quotes a 5 month wait, although I didn't actually ask about this. We'll see how long it takes, but TBH I'm not really all that bothered if it takes a bit longer than before - I know it will be well worth the wait.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1424476715' post='2696871']
I ordered mine last year through Bass Direct. What struck me is how accurate the configurator is. Mine looked identical to the mock up. Sandberg even let me chose the imbuia facing from three different raw planks of wood.
[/quote]
That is gorgeous, moonbass - congrats! Imbuia seems to vary much more dramatically in appearance than many other rarewood tops, so it's great to hear they gave you a choice. The fact that Sandberg give customers this level of choice and quality of product at the prices they charge never ceases to amaze.