Why become a member? ×

FEELER: For sale Aguilar AG500SC amp

Seriously thinking about changing my Aguilar amphead for an EBS HD350.

Interested in a swap if a fellow BC'er has one and wants to do a deal. If not I may sell if I can get the EBS amp for not much more money - funds are tight at the moment!

Would also welcome thoughts from other members as to if I should make this change at all? I love my Epifani cabs and will not change them for EBS but last time I was down at Bernie's I have to admit that the EBS stuff sounded awesome!

Cheers

Mark

Hi,

No doubt that it does sound good but the EBS head just has a certain "brightness" than I think other amps struggle to achieve.

I have a Rumour bass that should be ready in Nov and just thinking that EBS, GB Rumour and Epifani cab may make a great combination!

Mark

[quote name='Sting2007' post='262589' date='Aug 14 2008, 05:35 PM']IMO Keep the Aguilar. Aggie + Epifani sounds very nice to me.[/quote]

Not tried an Epfiani amp yet.

You don't rate EBS amps then?

Mark

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='262746' date='Aug 14 2008, 09:45 PM']Keep the Epifani cabs, they're worlds better than the EBS ones, and sell the Aguilar and buy an Epifani head, there was a used one for sale here a week or two ago.[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='263005' date='Aug 15 2008, 12:13 PM']this is your amp, not anyone elses, if you love the sound of the EBS then you go for it,dont change your mind becuase other peple say they don't like it, its YOUR amp[/quote]

+1 Kev.

To be honest, GB works wells with EBS - it's a well proven setup.

I would like to know the criteria on which "Epifani cab are worlds better than the EBS ones". Nobody has mentioned speaker sizes, style of music or anything. It's all about getting what you like and what is appropriate for what you do.

Guys,

Interesting to hear different opinions on this topic!

I am using a 2x10 Epifani cab and the music that I play is jazz/funk so I like quite a tight finger style sound with lots of mid and bottom end and also have quite a few tunes with slap bass in it so that is why I like the zing of the EBS and GB basses. Last time I was at Bernie's we even put the KSD 5 string through the EBS 2x10 combo and that sounded great for a sub £750 bass!

The advice that I seem to hear repeated is that your bass sound is only as good as your weakest link and I am not sure that the Aguilar can be classed as the weakest link at all as it is a cracking amp. It may just be that the EBS suits the sound that I am after more!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='263028' date='Aug 15 2008, 12:54 PM']+1 Kev.

To be honest, GB works wells with EBS - it's a well proven setup.

I would like to know the criteria on which "Epifani cab are worlds better than the EBS ones". Nobody has mentioned speaker sizes, style of music or anything. It's all about getting what you like and what is appropriate for what you do.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='263037' date='Aug 15 2008, 01:06 PM']Guys,

Interesting to hear different opinions on this topic!

I am using a 2x10 Epifani cab and the music that I play is jazz/funk so I like quite a tight finger style sound with lots of mid and bottom end and also have quite a few tunes with slap bass in it so that is why I like the zing of the EBS and GB basses. Last time I was at Bernie's we even put the KSD 5 string through the EBS 2x10 combo and that sounded great for a sub £750 bass!

The advice that I seem to hear repeated is that your bass sound is only as good as your weakest link and I am not sure that the Aguilar can be classed as the weakest link at all as it is a cracking amp. It may just be that the EBS suits the sound that I am after more![/quote]

Sounds like you need a EBS head with 2 2x10s, or a 4x10. At this end of the scale, things aren't better than others, just different. You have to find which one you like best. Let your own ears do the deciding.

[quote name='Toasted' post='263034' date='Aug 15 2008, 01:03 PM']I thought the Aguilar AG500 was one of the best amps I'd ever used. Infact I'd actually say that it is second only (and only just second) to my DB750.[/quote]

+1

I tried the AG500 at the same time I bought the DB750 and it was a very close call, other than on price and weight!!

I use a GBIV through my DB750 for nearly every gig and can vouch for the fact that GB and Aguilar do sound great together, if that's any help to you.

However, I'm not really into this thing of certain basses sounding better with certain amps. It's all down to personal taste, string choice and EQ settings at the end of the day. And, as someone else has already said, it's your rig so go with whatever you like!

Good luck!

Might be sensible to try the GB with the Aguilar before I make the change then!!

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Mark

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='263250' date='Aug 15 2008, 05:08 PM']+1

I tried the AG500 at the same time I bought the DB750 and it was a very close call, other than on price and weight!!

I use a GBIV through my DB750 for nearly every gig and can vouch for the fact that GB and Aguilar do sound great together, if that's any help to you.

However, I'm not really into this thing of certain basses sounding better with certain amps. It's all down to personal taste, string choice and EQ settings at the end of the day. And, as someone else has already said, it's your rig so go with whatever you like!

Good luck![/quote]