Why become a member? ×

Relic basses

Japhet

It's a look , pure and simple. Basses for the last few years have been finished in lacquer that just doesn't age. Instruments from the 60's and 70's, even after careful use, will. Especially if they are sweated on, chipped etc. so basically, it's impossible to get that look nowadays without faux relic'ing

Why can't folk leave it alone for what it is? It's just another custom look. There's lots of different custom looks out there. Leather looking guitars, denim finishes, rusty finishes, old finishes etc. As long as the bass still plays well, I am happy with a retro look.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1424664243' post='2698905']
It's a look , pure and simple.
[/quote]

I'd add that It's a feel also. Some of the relics the FCS do don't look much different to a new bass until you're very close up, but they feel beautifully played in, and for many it's that combination of a new & reliable instrument with the feel and - in some cases - sound of a lovely vintage bass. Not all relics feel old of course, and plenty of new basses feel quite played in from the factory (my old EBMM ray with an oiled neck for example), but I know enough players who don't give a damn whether their bass looks new or old but who prefer to play reliced instruments to know that it's more than looks alone.