Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 pickup & preamp change.

fretmeister

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1424637832' post='2698660']
Depends on your viewpoint. They did a great design job with that bass and the standard electronics do the job extremely well. It most certainly ain't a turd!!
[/quote]

That may be. However, as much as I adore the woods, build and feel on my new '88 SR5, The pups and pre are going to be gone as some point. They don't do the job for me.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1424637832' post='2698660']

Depends on your viewpoint. They did a great design job with that bass and the standard electronics do the job extremely well. It most certainly ain't a turd!!
[/quote]

Just quoting this to keep it here when your humour gland is reconnected!

:D

• 10 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, my MM5 has two Nordstrand pickups it was originally a single pickup, and a John East Pre, it is a lot nicer (imo) than it was originally.

I quite recently bought a TM5, and I love the bass, I really like the pickups, but the pre-amp isn't doing it for me, so I'm going for a John East, just deciding what will work best before buying one.

I'd like the new Uni-pre, I just want to make sure it will physically fit, if not I'm sure a J-retro will do the job.

I made mine passive as I got Kent Armstrrong to make me a custom wind with coil taps.

I'd just tired of the MM sound but liked the bass itself.
I kept all the old bits for when I sold it.

Might be the same for a Fender as rate the pickups but not the pre amp.
So interested in pre amp options

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1424628679' post='2698491']

I can't tell. Are you saying it's the finest instrument in the universe incapable of being bettered?

Or are you saying that you can't polish a turd?

:)
[/quote]

Haha! :D

• 3 weeks later...

As it has been bumped... My Sr5 now has the EMG MM type in it, and also an EMG DC40 at the neck.

Vol / Vol / Tone.

It sounds great and it's more versatile than before. The neck pickup does a good P impression when needed, but there is still plenty of clank from the bridge.

I'm very happy with it.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1453886354' post='2963699']
As it has been bumped... My Sr5 now has the EMG MM type in it, and also an EMG DC40 at the neck.

Vol / Vol / Tone.

It sounds great and it's more versatile than before. The neck pickup does a good P impression when needed, but there is still plenty of clank from the bridge.

I'm very happy with it.
[/quote]

You should try a Musicman piezo in the bridge as well - I have one in my Bongo 5 - adds a whole new dimension if you're after flexibility.

Edited by drTStingray