Why become a member? ×

Confused about ohms and watts!

SaxyBassist

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1423991563' post='2691142']
That's fine not understanding all the other posts
[/quote]

I do understand all the posts, but I was commenting to the OP on the relevance of most of them.

As far as I can see there is only 1 speaker chassis in that cab so any extension cab will be a huge benefit to the volume levels and tone. (Using the collective you here) You are talking to a player who has told you several times that she doesn't understand what you are saying and yet you keep on with stuff that is mostly irrelevant to the post.

Does she need to add a cab: Probably - one 110 isn't enough
Can she add a cab to that combo: Yes - as it says on the back of the cab 8 ohms only
Will the extension cab hurt the amp: No - as long as the cab is 8 ohms
Will it improve the volume: Yes - more speakers etc
Will it improve the tone: Yes - more speakers etc
Can she add a third cab: No - 1 extension is maximum
Is anything else relevant: No - Nooooooooooooo

I was hoping that plain, simple advice would benefit the OP.

ps I also understand that 90% of these posts weren't directed at the OP. But how does she know that when you're all talking in a foreign language.

That's it then even though we are all guessing at how that dual coil driver works and all advice would normally go against having even a normal driver rated the same as the max output of the amp never mind masking that driver behind a far more efficient higher power handling one before disabling half of it's voice coils.

Go for it SaxyBassist but I would listen very carefully to the combo speaker as the volume increases.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1423996785' post='2691222']

Ok, last question(s) from me. Is the statement above about speaker sizes a generally held view or is it more down to personal taste? My Ashdown combo has a 12" speaker so would, say, a 2 x 12 or another single 12 extension cab give me the best results or would a single 15 or possibly a 4 x 10 work just as well (assuming it is an 8ohm cab as established earlier)? I guess the tone that I am after comes in to the equation?
[/quote]
If you do a search on this very forum, you will find loads of posts on this subject. The likes of Bill Fitzmaurice have provided plenty of info to help make an educated decision.
I tried a 1x12 with ax1x15 and it didn't work for me. 2x112's worked better. At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes yer choice.

Edited by BassBunny

RickyV, mix speakers if you find a pairing that works. One of the better sounding rigs was the Barefaced Midget and Compact, a 12" and a 15" so it can be done. Bergantino mixed 10" and 12" 's. Mixing speaker sizes can get you better results than some would have you believe.

If you already have a 112 I'd get another purely because I haven't heard a "middle end of the market" 15" that I liked. I don't like combos because upgrading is always limited to will fit rather than what will sound best.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424002363' post='2691329']
Go for it SaxyBassist but I would listen very carefully to the combo speaker as the volume increases.
[/quote]

Good advice about listening carefully, hopefully it will be loud enough and make warning (bad) noises before it gets into the damaged speaker situation.

wow thanks for all the responses guys! I'm still a bit confused but thanks for making the effort :D
I now have the RS210 combined with the Promethean and it does sound nice.

The person i bought it from has another one for sale (very good price!) so my question now is...... if I have two RS10s would an RH450 be okay for them? and would I link them in parallel or in series? (see I have learned something! :lol: ) http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh450/

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1424210937' post='2693968']...if I have two RS10s would an RH450 be okay for them? and would I link them in parallel or in series? (see I have learned something! :lol: ) [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh450/"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh450/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes, an RH450 would be OK with 2 x RS210. The head is connected to one cab, with either 1/4" or Speakon cable. The second cab is connected to the first, again, either with 1/4" or Speakon. They will be connected in parallel, as the sockets on all these cabs are all connected in parallel. It is rare, and for specific reasons, that one would connect cabs in series, but it can be done. It's not relevant to your rig, though.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1424210937' post='2693968']
wow thanks for all the responses guys! I'm still a bit confused but thanks for making the effort :D
I now have the RS210 combined with the Promethean and it does sound nice.

The person i bought it from has another one for sale (very good price!) so my question now is...... if I have two RS10s would an RH450 be okay for them? and would I link them in parallel or in series? (see I have learned something! :lol: ) [url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh450/"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/rh450/[/url]
[/quote]
Like Dad says, you can run two RS210s with the RH450 - in fact TC specifically say up can run three of the cabs with it. As for the series/parallel thing, it's pretty much standard for amp outputs and cabs' sockets to be wired in parallel - I've only ever heard of a couple of combos where the extension socket is wired in series. To run the vast majority of cabs in series would require a special lead to by made up.

If you haven't already got connecting cables, get Speakon and not Jack. Standard Jacks are only really good enough for around 150W reliably and one of your cables will be carrying the signal to both cabs as the RH450 only has 1 output.
Also decent cable. OBBM is the man as he only makes cables using the the best available components.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1424262430' post='2694465']
Funny how jack to jack worked perfectly well with 200w, 300w and 400w valve amps back in the day.
[/quote]

Probably because Speakon hadn't been invented then, so no real choice. Jacks will work perfectly well, but if starting from scratch it is worth considering Speakons for the numberous advantage they present.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1424266278' post='2694514']
Probably because Speakon hadn't been invented then, so no real choice. Jacks will work perfectly well, but if starting from scratch it is worth considering Speakons for the numberous advantage they present.
[/quote]

So, Bassbunny is not a 'jack' rabbit, eh..? ;) You're right, though; Speakons are better, although many decades of jack use in systems handling much more than 150w prove that, for our kind of bass use, they're fine. If someone trips on the lead, do you prefer the jack to pull out, or for the Speakon to topple the stack to the floor..? Moot point, really. Jack leads are fine; Speakon are, on balance, better.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1424214153' post='2694025']
Yes, an RH450 would be OK with 2 x RS210. The head is connected to one cab, with either 1/4" or Speakon cable. The second cab is connected to the first, again, either with 1/4" or Speakon. They will be connected in parallel, as the sockets on all these cabs are all connected in parallel. It is rare, and for specific reasons, that one would connect cabs in series, but it can be done. It's not relevant to your rig, though.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Brilliant thanks - the RS210 that I have only has Speakon connectors :huh: so I got one made up by my friend who runs an Amp and Guitar repair centre :D

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1424266278' post='2694514']
[/quote]

Maybe that's why the jack connectors are no longer included?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1424001225' post='2691306']
I do understand all the posts, but I was commenting to the OP on the relevance of most of them.

As far as I can see there is only 1 speaker chassis in that cab so any extension cab will be a huge benefit to the volume levels and tone. (Using the collective you here) You are talking to a player who has told you several times that she doesn't understand what you are saying and yet you keep on with stuff that is mostly irrelevant to the post.

Does she need to add a cab: Probably - one 110 isn't enough
Can she add a cab to that combo: Yes - as it says on the back of the cab 8 ohms only
Will the extension cab hurt the amp: No - as long as the cab is 8 ohms
Will it improve the volume: Yes - more speakers etc
Will it improve the tone: Yes - more speakers etc
Can she add a third cab: No - 1 extension is maximum
Is anything else relevant: No - Nooooooooooooo

I was hoping that plain, simple advice would benefit the OP.

ps I also understand that 90% of these posts weren't directed at the OP. But how does she know that when you're all talking in a foreign language.
[/quote]

Just seen this post - many thanks :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1424002363' post='2691329']
That's it then even though we are all guessing at how that dual coil driver works and all advice would normally go against having even a normal driver rated the same as the max output of the amp never mind masking that driver behind a far more efficient higher power handling one before disabling half of it's voice coils.

[/quote]

Will do :D