Why become a member? ×

Squier 60's Classic Vibe Jazz

aceuggy

Just taken delivery of my new Jazz and very pleased with it I am too. It looks the mutts and plays great. Only problem is it's a bit buzzy as if the strings are a bit too close to the fret board. What do you reckon that is and how can I fix it? It sounds worse when played acoustically not too bad when amplified.

Is the fret buzzing just certain frets or over most of the board? If it most of it, just raise the saddles slightly. I still get some fretbuzz from my MIM Jazz, but as I doesn't come through the amp, I can live with it. By the way, nice looking bass!

Edited by leonshelley01

probably needs a tweak of the trussrod. With the bass in the normal playing position tuned as normal. Press the E string at the first & last frets. the distance between the 8th fret and the string should be about the thickness of a couple of business cards. Any less than that and the truss rod needs to be loosened to allow the strings to pull some relief into the neck and any more means it needs to be tightened to counteract the pull of the strings. A little goes a long way. I think setups are fully documented on the wiki (I haven't checked though).

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='261848' date='Aug 13 2008, 07:36 PM']probably needs a tweak of the trussrod. With the bass in the normal playing position tuned as normal. Press the E string at the first & last frets. the distance between the 8th fret and the string should be about the thickness of a couple of business cards. Any less than that and the truss rod needs to be loosened to allow the strings to pull some relief into the neck and any more means it needs to be tightened to counteract the pull of the strings. A little goes a long way. I think setups are fully documented on the wiki (I haven't checked though).[/quote]

Woah! If I press the E string at the first and last frets it touches all the frets all the way along the neck!! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='261920' date='Aug 13 2008, 08:52 PM']Jazzes seem to work best with just a touch of a curve at the nut end of the neck. Between an 8th & a quarter of a turn anticlockwise, I do believe :)

Also, check that the saddles on the bridge aren't bottoming out on the base of the bridge![/quote]

Do I need a special tool? I've had a look at all the allen keys in my possession, but none seem to fit!

I've been eyeballing one of these Jazzes in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow, but I never have enough time to try it out. How's the bridge on it? I've been thinking about picking one up as a replacement for my Badass, but there don't seem to be any on ebay just yet.

Just use a Gotoh 201, they're practically the same bridge and at 25 quid they're a steal. I have one on my jazz bass. Looks great too. :)

Oh and thanks for the heads up, I will not be heading into Guitar Guitar any time soon then. My wallet will kill me other wise!

Edited by Alastair

My Jazz had a Gotoh 201 on it for a while but I really didn't like it. Don't know if it was a duffer or not but there was no improvement in tone or sustain over the original 'bent tin' bridge that it came with.

Went to what was formerly Sound Control today, the new Squier bridges look a lot studier than those on the new Fender American Standards.

Oh and in guitar guitar they have the Classic Vibe 60s Precision with a bridge cover on it, which I reckon really tops it off, it looks effing lovely!

Edited by jono b