Why become a member? ×

'72 Gibson Les Paul Bass

Stag

Hi chaps / chapettes...

My search for an interesting new (or should I say OLD) bass has now ended after finding this 1972 Gibson LP Bass. Only one real mark of note on it where someone appears to have glued a thumbrest to it many many moons ago - im callin it the "mojo-mark" - lol. other than that its in great nick and after a polish it shines in a very pretty way. Bridge cover is also AWOL but not too bothered about that, fabulous phat tone thumping out of those dual humbuckers makes up for that...!

Oh, and it weighs about as much as a small car :)

EDIT - the white bits are reflections from the camera, no white marks on that baby at all. And sorry about my lawn, needs some TLC.

Edited by Stag

[quote name='BassBod' post='261594' date='Aug 13 2008, 03:05 PM']A really interesting bass - sort of Gibson tries Alembic, (low impedance pickups) but not really sure why....but Les Paul thinks we should....how does it sound?

BB[/quote]

Its got the "WOOOOF" sound you associate with Gibbo's with all the tones whacked up and both pickups on and in phase, at setting "1". You can get a hell of a lot of tones out of it with a bit of twiddling! Some new strings wouldnt go amiss when I try and find a "clunky" tone, but it'll get some next week at it's scheduled pro-setup.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='261785' date='Aug 13 2008, 06:11 PM']That is the coolest bass I've seen in ages. Congrats on a real find! Dare we ask what you paid if it's not too rude :huh:[/quote]

Thanks! I like things that are a little out of the ordinary. Dont really want to be exact with how much I paid (im still getting over the shock mysefl! :) ) but it was a little bit over a grand. Which is about how much I would have had to pay if i'd got one off evilBay from the US and then had to add tax / shipping / insurance blahblahblahetcetcblah so i think I got a decent deal.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='262061' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:31 PM']+1

I really like the control layout...[/quote]

I liked it too and it was another selling point for me. Although a mate of mine did say it looked like a dashboard control plate from a 1984 Ford Cortina, which wasnt so cool. Ahem. :huh: