Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier Deluxe Jazz IV Active

discreet

NBD - Squier Deluxe Jazz IV Active

I'll be doing way more gigs this year than last, so I wanted a cheap, playable bass that sounded (and looked) good, to use at any, er... less salubrious venues we may play. Largely because of the current Squier love on this forum and because to be fair I have already owned a Squier Jazz V in the past and liked it, I felt another Squier would be on the cards. My new project is an alt.country/Americana/Blues Rock hybrid, so I went for something I thought would fit in with the vibe. Normally I wouldn't touch sunburst with a bargepole, but I think it appropriate in this case.

So, the Squier Deluxe Jazz IV Active. Notable features include a three-band tone circuit and an Ebanol fingerboard. As I understand it, Ebanol replicates the qualities of Ebony in that it is hard and dense... but it's a synthetic polymer, presumably cheaper and easier to work than Ebony. It's very hard, smooth and shiny and I like it. Fnarr. The tone circuit comprises volume, pickup blend, stacked treble/bass and mid. There is also a 'slap switch', essentially a mid-cut which boosts the low and top ends for slapping. So I won't be using that, then... it does offer extra tonal possibilities, but anything which cuts your mids in a live situation is to be avoided, IMHO.

The pickups and tone circuit don't seem particularly strong to me, but as I've been playing my Spector Euro which has EMG P/J and a TonePump, this is hardly surprising! However, the Squier sounds good through my recently-acquired MXR M-80 using the clean EQ channel, so that's how it's going to happen. I fitted Fender 9050ML flats and they sound great, as usual - it's proved possible to get quite a low action as the neck is very straight indeed - straighter than my Euro neck (which has graphite rods in it). I don't know if this is just because the Squier is new, or whether the Ebanol board imparts some kind of stability, or what. I notice the board isn't a veneer, it's a slab, and does a fair impression of a rolled-edge fingerboard though the radius is 12" so it seems fairly flat.

I don't mind this as the nut width and neck thickness are typically Jazz, so a flatter board suits me better - I do normally prefer a wider and thicker neck. One day I must buy a Jazz with a Precision neck... anyway, the bass feels good in the hands, isn't overly heavy on the shoulder and balances well. It's very easy to play and the tone circuit is intuitive, though to be honest I've got it set mainly flat with just a little bass boost and am relying on my M-80 for the bulk of the tone-shaping. I was almost hoping to debunk the 'Squier is as good as Fender' mantra you see everywhere, but I can't - because it's a very good bass. And as I bought it used from this parish, it was a bargain too (many thanks to Bass Culture - Mark) and I don't see how Fender's margins on these can be anything other than minimal. Obviously so many are manufactured and sold that the economies of scale make it workable.

There are always negatives, and in this case it's the finish. As you can see from the pics, the body is clearly a three-piece job and you can see the joins, though a solid colour would solve that problem. Also I don't like sunburst Jazz bodies with no pickguard - they look strange to me - I've never been a big fan of the 'Jaco' look - so I bought a tort guard from eBay and fitted that, which at least has the virtue of covering up some of the finish!

Also, the bridge and tuners are not of the highest quality - especially when juxtaposed with the Hipshot BT1 Xtender I fitted to enable one or two numbers in the set - but they work fine and do what they're supposed to. The bridge is a hi-mass type with barrel-screw runners and does its job well enough and the tuners hold the bass in tune, which is what you want really, so... Would I use this as my main bass? When necessary, yes. Is it as good as a MIA Fender? No. Is it as good as a MIM Fender? Yes... it's as good as a good MIM Fender and better than an iffy MIM Fender. Is it as good as a CIJ Fender? No. All IMHO and based on my own experience, of course. But bear in mind that the differences are all in the finish and the quality of the hardware and components. Is it as good as a Spector Euro? Get the hell out!!

But you'd be very hard pressed to tell the difference between this Indonesian Squier and a USA Fender in a blind listening test. And the Squier feels right, it plays very nicely and it sounds good. So at a gig or in the studio it makes not a lot of difference. So where else are you playing? Have you really invested all that money in your USA Fender just to play it at home..?  If it were down to cash and a Squier was all I could afford, then that would work fine - the current reputation of Squier is such that I have no qualms whatsoever about the 'S-decal' on the headstock and I would be happy to use this as my main squeeze all day long, no problem. But having said that... it is nice to have other options available.

SQ_Front_zpszgl337as.jpg&key=680b38475d910ccf6a6d56b717789343867b620b53ebf4132a6ed1025265c9f8

SQ_Headfront_zpsnbyugsan.jpg&key=424fae43d765812b82372442c403608cbcbe1bba8bf7dac8999d40f4800903bf

SQ_Threequart_zpsnedbn9cg.jpg&key=4a36d5dad148c606572c08eae0968de91ef7456356fe82a7989e98ade13b8345

SQ_Headback_zpsqssyejam.jpg&key=fb2907d6bc840a62bc3d25b9c11f61338b412f4861a8ee91a0f498fbd225bc5b

SQ_Ebanol_zpsngrlrhcq.jpg&key=11f3c23013ec25dcd0b3afd3a975e7ee42e1132c81643776c26df20d8ee085e5

SQ_Hipshot_zps9aqn1grp.jpg&key=f541ad72e13816d3796b6f116be782900dfa34e2a45b30f647d1773458a3fee7

SQ_Battery_zpsic6ud3rl.jpg&key=edce9c75e0a6f632208284e7e319d5933095769306d2de4071fb4e601a8d0782

I thank you!

Edited by discreet

Aha, you bought it! I went for the solid black for mine for the very reason you've stated (but then I do like black basses). I run the EQ on mine pretty similar to you; bass boost of about 25%, mids flat, treble flat; I add mids of about 25% when both pickups are at equal volume (to fill the mid scoop a little) and cut mids by about 25% when soloing the bridge pickup. Happy NBD! :D

You didn't mention they are also, by Jazz bass standards, very lightweight! I had one (in black) for a while and was utterly amazed at how good it was at the price point. When I picked it up the neck was so straight and the action so low that I had to actually alter it to fit in with my heavy-handed thumpings. They don't get a mention as much as the VM or CV but I think for the money these are amazing. Plays like a Jazz, sounds like a Jazz, feels like a Jazz but lighter.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1423151245' post='2681483']
You didn't mention they are also, by Jazz bass standards, very lightweight! I had one (in black) for a while and was utterly amazed at how good it was at the price point. When I picked it up the neck was so straight and the action so low that I had to actually alter it to fit in with my heavy-handed thumpings. They don't get a mention as much as the VM or CV but I think for the money these are amazing.
[/quote]

Using the bathroom scales method (which admittedly could be wildly inaccurate) I'm getting 9.6lb. Is that light for a Jazz? Or does the tort guard I fitted weigh two pounds? ;) You're quite right about the neck though, I've never seen one as straight on [i]any [/i]bass. I too needed to raise the action somewhat - I'm not a fan of a super-low action in any case, but if you are, it's very possible to get it silly low, especially with flats. Much lower than I could on my USA P.

As far as feel, playability and sound go, it's an amazing bass at [i]any [/i]price point. It really sounds like a Jazz, and then some. But something has to give somewhere, hence the criticisms about the finishing and components. And if Fender made Squiers which were as good as or better than USA and Jap Fenders, who would buy a Fender? Well... I'm guessing someone who wants a genuine 'F-Decal' on the headstock. These people are still out there, y'know! ;)

But yes, given the Ebanol board and the very usable tone circult they're certainly a huge bargain, especially as Thomann are knocking them out for around £210 new and delivered! [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_deluxe_jazz_bass_iv_3sb.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...bass_iv_3sb.htm[/url]

And unless you have some weird penchant for sunburst, the black option looks very lush indeed. It's a shame Squier don't offer a white option as they do with the Deluxe Jazz V. Oh well, you can't have everything. Where would you put it all..? :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1423157762' post='2681589']
Mine was well under 9lbs - a bonus, perhaps. Only £210 new! I wish you hadn't said that.... :unsure:
[/quote]

Pretend you want the black one instead, they'e £245 for some bizarre reason! :)

Edited by discreet

Very fair review, Mark. I was taken with it myself but moved it on before I got too attached to it. I'm trying desperately to be a one bass kind of guy at present and my ACG will be back from Alan before too much longer, I'd guess. I think you're quite fair to point out the flaws in the finish but equally - as you so rightly say - they're £210 FFS! Great quality and sound for that price, and would put many a more expensive bass in the shade.

Oh, I'd guess many of you have had dealings with Discreet before so it will come as no surprise when I say: Top guy.

BC

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1423218177' post='2682260']
...I think you're quite fair to point out the flaws in the finish but equally - as you so rightly say - they're £210 FFS!
[/quote]

Well quite... personally I don't mind much, I'm a pro-relic kind of guy. It won't stop me from playing the bass in public! :)

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1423218177' post='2682260']
...I'd guess many of you have had dealings with Discreet before so it will come as no surprise when I say: Top guy.
[/quote]

Why, thank you for that unsolicited testimonial... :blush:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423162283' post='2681677']
Pretend you want the black one instead, they'e £245 for some bizarre reason! :)
[/quote]

... and worth the extra. Looks the mutts in black, with the ebanol board n' all. Actually I am struggling to recall why I got rid of it. Hell and damnation. :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1423219955' post='2682288']
...Actually I am struggling to recall why I got rid of it. Hell and damnation. :)
[/quote]

At that price you could sneak one into the house with the shopping. It's a stealth bass, no-one will notice...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1423223354' post='2682358']
There is absolutely no reason or justification to get one of these. Is there? :)
[/quote]

Oh no... but what are you going to do when you need a spiffy black bass but don't want to have to worry about taking it out of the house..? And if you DO move it on, it's not like you're going to lose much cash on the deal, is it..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423137408' post='2681175']
[b]NBD - Squier Deluxe Jazz IV Active[/b]

There are always negatives, and in this case it's the finish. As you can see from the pics, the body is clearly a three-piece job and you can see the joins, though a solid colour would solve that problem. Also I don't like sunburst Jazz bodies with no pickguard - they look strange to me - I've never been a big fan of the 'Jaco' look - so I bought a tort guard from eBay and fitted that, which at least has the virtue of covering up some of the finish!

[/quote]

Hmmm... Personally I would have left the bass without a scratchplate, as now the lack of metal bell [s]end[/s] plate looks even more weird! That's just my preference though.

Do keep us all posted on where you will be playing this, especially if you venture west of the Smoke (Reading/Swindon/Bath/Bristol/Oxford etc).

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423224646' post='2682388']
Personally I would have left the bass without a scratchplate, as now the lack of metal bell plate looks even more weird!
[/quote]

What, weird like this Alleva-Coppolo..? :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423224646' post='2682388']
Do keep us all posted on where you will be playing this, especially if you venture west of the Smoke (Reading/Swindon/Bath/Bristol/Oxford etc).
[/quote]

I surely will, thanks for your interest... you can come and see my weird Alleva-Coppolo/Squier hybrid in the flesh! ;)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423229800' post='2682510']
Bell plate on its own has a certain cool too.
[/quote]

Now that's just the kind of Jaco-look I'm not a big fan of! We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Besides, it's done now and I simply can't be bothered to do anything about it. Except buy another bass, obviously.
That's the answer to everything, apparently... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423230256' post='2682526']
Now that's just the kind of Jaco-look I'm not a big fan of! We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
Besides, it's done now and I simply can't be bothered to do anything about it. Except buy another bass, obviously.
That's the answer to everything, apparently... :)
[/quote]

Absolutely, completely happy to have a different aesthetic outlook! That looks like one very capable instrument.

I am currently in the running for the bass slot in an Americana sort of outfit myself, which only enhances my interest in the way other players tackle the job.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423236924' post='2682631']
I am currently in the running for the bass slot in an Americana sort of outfit myself, which only enhances my interest in the way other players tackle the job.
[/quote]

Well good luck with that. :) Better start growing a beard. And if you have one already, grow a HUGE beard.
And get a hat. Everything else will just fall into place...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1423240761' post='2682722']
Well good luck with that. :) Better start growing a beard. And if you have one already, grow a HUGE beard.
And get a hat. Everything else will just fall into place...
[/quote]

Mrs Axe will not permit beardiness! Got plenty hats though.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1423241490' post='2682732']
Mrs Axe will not permit beardiness! Got plenty hats though.
[/quote]

Hmm... here ya go!
[url="https://www.beardhead.co.uk/product/barbarian-roadie/"]https://www.beardhead.co.uk/product/barbarian-roadie/[/url]