Why become a member? ×

Lakland 55-02 VS Joe Osborn 5

bubinga5

i recently acquired a 55-02. just wondering from the vast experience on this forum, your experiences of how both basses compare. apart from the obvious pickup arrangement. . I'm thinking the later plek'd basses but any thoughts are welcome. i know some JO5's can be heavy, but i was wondering how the neck compares, scale length etc. does the JO5 have a preamp.?.
any thoughts generally.

thanks.

Edited by bubinga5

Don't really know about the one against the other..
Not really a fan of the 5502 aesthetically and I'm not a huge fan of humbuckers full stop
but if the JO5 is fundemenatlly the same as a DJ5 soundwise...??? then the passive Lakland
needs a pre amp. I'm pretty sure they don't have one but a JE would liven it up.

Sorry, not much help... I like the DJ in terms of the RW and blocks but I feel they lack character
generally and are too polite a sound, hence the need for a pre amp install.

The 55-02 and 55-60 (FKA Joe Osborn) are both 22 fret which leads me to suspect the necks are probably identical. I have a 55-60 and used to have a 55-02, and the neck sure does feel familiar.

In terms of sound - obviously different. The 55-60 is unmistakably a classic sounding J bass but I wouldn't go as far to call it polite (not how I play it anyway). The 55-02 can do that sound too but a few others thanks to the humbucker, coil tap and preamp.

I have considered adding a preamp to my 55-60, but it sounds so good as it is i'm reluctant to mess with it.

Overall, it's down to a compromise between looks and versatility. I find the 55-02 to always look a bit dull without a pickguard and the fairly boring colours it comes in.

Edited by Machines

I've got a fretless 55-02, a fretted 55-94 and a US JO5. The 55-XX basses are more "all round tone machines" mimicing J, P and MM in a rather good way. The JO is a real J. Nothing more, nothing less! Well, the 35" scale and the fifth string makes difference, of course. If you are a "tweaker": go for the 55, if you just want to play your Jazz Bass: go JO! Same necks, different bodies! I am a Jazz Bass guy myself so I prefer the touch and feel of the JO5, even if the 55-XX basses are more versatile.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1423051753' post='2679955']
but if the JO5 is fundemenatlly the same as a DJ5 soundwise...??? then the passive Lakland
needs a pre amp. I'm pretty sure they don't have one but a JE would liven it up.

Sorry, not much help... I like the DJ in terms of the RW and blocks but I feel they lack character
generally and are too polite a sound, hence the need for a pre amp install.
[/quote]

To me it's the other way round: I prefer my '06 DJ5 w. Aeros passive...... on the other hand, my Sadowsky MV5, I like better with the preamp:)

Edited by gillento